Finances Finances

Incoming students are typically classified as 'exchange students' or as 'fee-paying students'.

Exchange students are responsible for all costs other than tuition. For immigration purposes, non-EU students must also have financial support to cover their entire period of study.  For Erasmus+ students, please contact your home university regarding your Erasmus grant allowance.

Please note that Middlebury College, Roanoke College, and the University of Redlands have a special financial arrangement with UEA (see below).

Fee-paying students apply and enrol directly with the University of East Anglia or through a Study Abroad provider.  Depending on the agreement (if any) we hold with your home university or Study Abroad provider, you will be billed directly.  If unsure about billing procedures please speak to your home university or Study Abroad provider.

Click here to find out how to pay for your tuition or accommodation

2018-19 Estimated Costs 2018-19 Estimated Costs

Currency converter



Sep - Dec

(12 weeks)


Jan - Jun

(22 weeks)

Academic Year

Sep - Jun

(38 weeks)

Tuition (non-EU)




Tuition (EU)





2017-18 prices 2017-18 prices

Meals (estimated)




Living Expenses (estimated)*




Note: University residences remain open through Christmas and Easter breaks.

* Living expenses includes books and stationery, clothing and personal expenditure (such as recreation, social activities, UK travel, laundry, etc.).  Excluded are meal costs, return travel to/from the UK and any additional medical or dental insurance and similar.


Food and Drink
5 Bananas £0.80
5 Apples £1.50
3 Red Onions £0.75
2.5 kg Potatoes £2.00
2 Gem lettuce heads £0.80
1 kg Easy Cook Long Grain Rice £1.00
Loaf of bread £1.00
500g Spaghetti £0.20
2L bottle of water £0.45
Unbranded 2L bottle of cola £0.55
Bus to city centre £2.70
Taxi to city centre £6.00
Train to London (advance purchase) £9.00
Coach to London (advance purchase) £5.00
Textbook £30.00+
Paperback novel £10.00
Printing (per page, black and white) £0.03
Photocopying (per page, black and white) £0.06
Laundry (wash and dry) £5.10
Cinema (with student card) £8.75
Theatre (with student card) £10.00


University Financial Arrangement
Middlebury College Tuition, accommodation & meals paid by home institution
Roanoke College Tuition, accommodation & meals paid by home institution
University of Redlands Tuition and accommodation paid by home institution


US Federal Aid (FAFSA) is able to be used towards funding academic programmes outside the United States. Students should consult with the Financial Aid Office on their home campus to determine if a change of school code is necessary. UEA is able to certify loans, including Stafford Loans, Grad PLUS Loans and Parent PLUS Loans. If you need any assistance or have any questions regarding this process, contact us on 


UEA FAFSA School code: G10 915

UK bank accounts UK bank accounts

Students who are here for more than six months will be able to open a UK bank account. 

You will be able to obtain a letter from your LTS Hub to give to the bank, which attests to your student status at UEA. 

You will need to have completed registration before you are able to receive this letter, so you will not be able to obtain this before you arrive.

UEA Scholarships



Butex Scholarships