The UK government has launched several important funding streams to support Official Development Assistance (ODA)-compliant research projects, such as the Global Challenges Research Fund (GCRF) and the Newton Fund (Official webpage).
These formed part of the UK’s commitment to allocate 0.7% of Gross National Income to ODA activity. This ODA allocation has been seriously affected by Government cuts to ODA, being reduced to 0.5% until further notice. These cuts have drastically diminished the ODA allocation for International Development research.
Nevertheless, in line with this commitment, as well as the government’s strategic focus on the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals, UEA has enriched its international research activity in recent years.
Our researchers are contributing to an ever-expanding portfolio of interdisciplinary projects supported by GCRF and the Newton Fund to promote the development and welfare of countries included in the Development Assistance Committee (DAC) list (low- and middle-income countries).
Exploring Everyday Learning
Family literacy and the Sustainable Development Goals
We Are What We Eat
Applying traditional solutions to make food systems sustainable
UEA sustainable development activity
The ODA compliance of UEA’s international research activity is closely monitored and, where appropriate, managed by the UEA’s International Research Office.
Map showing UEA international research collaborations involving ODA-recipient countries by continent
- Africa: Benin, Botswana, Burkino Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, DR Congo, Cote D’Ivoire, Egypt, Ethiopia, Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Sudan, Tanzania, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia.
- Americas: Argentina, Barbados, Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominica, Ecuador, Guatemala, Jamaica, Mexico, Monserrat, Peru, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines.
- Asia: Bangladesh, China, India, Indonesia, Jordan, Laos, Lebanon, Malaysia, Maldives, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Palestine, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Turkey, Vietnam.
- Europe: Bosnia and Herzegovinia, Serbia, Ukraine.
- Oceania: Fiji, Papua New Guinea.