At UEA we are very proud of the high quality of our research as demonstrated in the results of the most recent national evaluation of university research, the 2021 Research Excellence Framework (REF2021).
UEA ranked 20th overall in the assessment (as calculated by the Times Higher Education Supplement (THES)), placing us firmly in the top UK research institutions and confirmed our position as a premier research institution making a substantial impact on the global challenges facing society.
In REF21, 91% of our research was rated as “world-leading” or “internationally excellent”; our research outputs were ranked 13th highest quality, and impact from our research 16th in the UK.
UEA ranked in the top five Universities in the UK for several subjects, including:
- Agriculture, Food & Veterinary Sciences (1st)
- Anthropology & Development Studies (1st for Development Studies only)
- History (3rd); Earth Systems & Environmental Sciences (4th)
- Social Work & Social Policy (4th)
- Area Studies (5th)
UEA ranked in the top 20 for many more subjects demonstrating the breadth of our high quality research:
- Art and Design: History, Practice & Theory (13th)
- Business & Management Studies (14th)
- Politics & International Studies (14th)
- Psychology, Psychiatry & Neuroscience (14th)
- Public Health, Health Services & Primary Care (15th)
- Economics & Econometrics (16th)
- Communications, Cultural & Media Studies (16th)
- Biological Sciences (17th)
- English Language & Literature (19th)
- Clinical Medicine (20th)
(All rankings as calculated by THES 2021)
Achieving this level of success in national research assessment draws significant income to the University, and ensures that UEA can maintain a thriving and diverse research environment to which we attract world-leading academics. We have made significant investment in research infrastructure, supporting our academics in securing the vital funding needed to continue to address the global research challenges.
UEA research is extremely highly cited, the 6th most cited in the UK and 41st globally (THE Research Citations rankings 2022). Ten researchers associated with the Norwich Research park and seven researchers from UEA have been named in the annual Clarivate Web of Science Group Highly Cited Researchers list for 2022. The annual list identifies influential researchers who have demonstrated significant global influence through publication of multiple highly cited papers in the last decade. Furthermore, UEA is listed in the World Top 100 for research citations (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2023) and World Top 50 (Times Higher Education Impact Rankings 2022).
Statement on the Responsible Use of Metrics in Research Assessment
The University of East Anglia is committed to the principles of fair, responsible and open use of metrics in the assessment of research activity and performance. We will put this commitment into practice by using metrics:
- To support, and not replace, peer review and expert knowledge
- Which take account of discipline variations
- In a transparent manner and with a clear objective
- Which are appropriate and robust, with the limitations clearly explained
As part of this commitment, UEA is a signatory to the San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA).