UEA is committed to inclusive study so everyone can get involved with student life.
Student Services offers a support service for all students with a disability (physical, mental or a Specific Learning Difficulty (SpLD)) e.g. dyslexia, long term and short term medical conditions and acute medical conditions e.g. severe allergic reactions.
So you can tell us about your circumstances, we have created a form which has been specifically designed for prospective students to inform the UEA about any disability (including mental health conditions) or long-term health conditions.
- It is important to share your disability at application, to ensure that any support needs or other necessary arrangements can be discussed and organised in advance.
- Information should be provided in addition to any information provided as part of your UCAS submission.
- We strongly encourage applicants and students to be open about their disability related support requirements and work with us to ensure those can be met for the duration of their studies.
- If the University has not been made fully aware of the requirements of a student with a disability as soon as possible during initial communications, we cannot guarantee that suitable resources will be available on the student's arrival - although of course, every reasonable attempt shall be made.
In order to enable the service to be able to support a student the student is required to ensure that all correspondence is responded to in a timely manner and all relevant evidence is provided.
Please be aware that a delay in providing information to Student Services may result in a delay in the service we are able to offer.
Completing the form - What do you need to know before you start?
Who can complete the form?
The form can be completed by the student or the student’s representative.
What will the form ask me?
The form will ask questions related to the following areas:
- Student details – name, contact details
- Course applied for. Level of study e.g. Undergraduate or postgraduate and start date
- Type of disability
- Evidence for the disability;
- Any acute medical condition
- Previous educational support
- Previous personal support e.g. Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan (PEEP)
- Disability Student allowance e.g. whether you have or are intending to apply
How long will the form take to complete and what do I need to have before I start?
The form will normally take approximately 20 to 30 minutes to complete but it is recommended you allow up to an hour.
- Please complete the form in one attempt as it is not possible to save a partially completed form
- Please have scans/images of all evidence ready before commencing the form as this can be uploaded as part of the submission
- You may upload 5 documents with a combined maximum of 5GB. If you have more than 5 documents please email additional ones to email@example.com
- A copy of your submission will be emailed to you after you submit
While you’re here
There are a number of ways we can support you during your studies at UEA:
- One-to-one support with experienced Disability Advisers
- Reasonable adjustments – making sure your course is accessible and adaptable to your needs
- Assessment Adjustments – arranging for the use of a computer or extra time during exams, for example
- Help with applying for Disabled Students’ Allowances
- Specialist tuition for students with Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLDs)
- Assistive equipment and technologies
- Disability Liaison Officers in every Faculty – specially trained academics who know your department and can connect you with the wider support service
Complete and return a Disability and Health Information Form
Please download our Disability and Health Information Form, and complete and return to firstname.lastname@example.org – this allows us to share relevant information with colleagues so that we can advise them on any reasonable adjustments you may need.
Apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs)
If you’re a UK student, you could apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs). These allowances can provide you with a wide range of support during your time at university – you can find out how to apply and what you might be eligible to receive through Student Finance England.
If you’re an EU or International student, please contact us at email@example.com for a preliminary assessment of support need.
Let us know if you’d like to move into UEA accommodation early
UEA offers the opportunity to move into campus accommodation before the main Home student arrivals weekend.
If you would like to avoid the peak time, and get settled in during a quieter time, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to indicate this preference.