The Accounting Group is currently led by Peter Russell and includes 19 full time and part time Faculty members, 10 of whom hold a professional accountancy qualification. We have strong links with Professional accountancy bodies, such as the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW), Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) and Chartered Institute of Taxation.
The Accounting group’s faculty works in the area of corporate disclosure, which is instrumental in providing stakeholders with adequate information on the companies they are interested in. The group’s research covers several fields: Accounting Regulation, Alternative Performance Measures, Auditing, Corporate Governance, Corporate Social Responsibility and Integrated Reporting, Financial Accounting, Management Accounting, and Performance Management.
Group members publish their research in leading journals (classified as 4 or 3 by the ABS) such as: Review of Accounting Studies, Management Accounting Research, European Accounting Review, Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal, Critical Perspectives on Accounting, Accounting Forum, Financial Accountability and Management, Accounting and Business Research, Journal of Business Ethics, Accounting Horizons, Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, International Journal of Accounting, Production Planning and Control, Business Strategy and the Environment, Small Business Economics, Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, and Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Finance.
Members of the Accounting Group have collaborations with researchers of other national schools (such as University of Kent, and LSE), as well with researchers working in Brazil (University of Sao Paulo), Denmark (University of Aarhus), France (IESEG School of Management), Italy (Bocconi University, and University of Verona), India (Indian Institute of Management Bangalore), Netherlands (RSM Erasmus University), New Zealand (University of Auckland), Portugal (ISCTE – IUL, and ISEG – University of Lisbon), Spain (ESADE Business School, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, and Universidad Carlos III de Madrid), and Turkey (University of Ankara).
The Accounting Group has contributed for NBS to be recognised in REF2014 amongst the top 10 business schools in the UK in terms of research output quality. Moreover, the university is ranked 13th in the UK, for Accounting and Finance by the Guardian University Guide of 2019. Finally, the Times Higher Education world university rankings of 2019 for Business and Economics positions UEA as 15th in the world for international outlook, and in the top 200 schools of the world overall.
Group Members and Interests
- Mr James Armes, CMA, Lecturer in Accounting: management accounting and internal auditing
- Mrs Loretta Bond, CTA, Lecturer in Taxation and Accounting
- Prof Ian Dewing, FCA Professor of Accounting: auditing, corporate governance and financial regulation.
- Mr Peter Ellington, FAIA, FRSA, Lecturer in Accounting: accounting education, management accounting, and accounting for IT systems
- Mrs Andrea Finegan, Lecturer in Finance: investment banking and investment management
- Dr Pinar Given-Uslu, Senior Lecturer in Accounting: benchmarking, accounting information for performance management and strategic decision making
- Dr Octavian Ionescu, Lecturer in Accounting: professional judgement in the accounting profession
- Dr Robert Jenkins, Lecturer in Business Statistics, University Teaching Fellow: mathematics and quantitative methods
- Mrs Jessica Kirkham, Lecturer in Accounting: financial accounting, taxation, international financial reporting
- Dr Alasdair Macnab, FCMA GGMA, Lecturer in Management Accounting
- Dr Ricardo Malagueno Santana, Senior Lecturer in Accounting: management accounting and control systems, performance management, and business ethics
- Prof Ana Marques, Professor of Accounting: alternative performance measures (non-GAAP earnings) corporate governance, corporate social responsibility disclosures
- Dr Gaia Melloni, Lecturer in Accounting: integrated reporting, financial and non-financial disclosure, corporate social responsibility and executive compensation
- Mrs Sally Piff, ACA, Lecturer in Business Statistics: mathematics and quantitative methods
- Mr Peter Russell, FCA, Senior Lecturer in Accounting: audit, corporate governance, and financial regulation
- Mr Anthony Springall, CMA, Tutor in Business: financial accounting
- Mrs Amanda Williams, ACA, CTA, Lecturer in Accounting: accounting education and taxation
- Ms Susan Wheeler, FCCA, Lecturer in Accounting: management and cost accounting
- Mr Michael Woodhouse, CMA, Tutor in Business: management and cost accounting
We also welcome applications for short academic visits from junior and senior researchers. Unfortunately, we cannot cover any expenses at this point. If you are interested in visiting us, please directly contact the group member that you would like to work with.
We currently offer the following accounting-related programmes:
- BSc Accounting and Finance
- BSc Accounting and Management
- MSc International Accounting and Financial Management
- MSc Accounting and Finance
- PhD Accounting
The following members of the group are available for PhD supervision.