International Year One in Global Development with Media
- Start date
- 16 September 2024
The International Year One is the equivalent to the first year of study for an undergraduate degree. During the programme, you'll improve your academic and undergraduate research skills, as well as building your English language abilities. When you finish the programme you'll be ready to progress to Year 2 of one of 6 different undergraduate degrees in Global Development. This means that you can complete your degree in the same amount of time as direct entry students.
- Develop the knowledge and skills for your chosen degree through a specialist pathway.
- Study academic modules that reflect the first year of your chosen degree.
- Guaranteed university placement for all successful students.
- Adapt to studying in the UK thanks to modules designed to equip you with the skills you need for university.
- Guidance with your university application, ensuring you choose the best degree for you.
What will I study?
All students complete modules tailored to their chosen degree subjects.
- English Language and Study Skills for International Development and Media
- Humanitarian Communication
- Introduction to Development Studies
- Introduction to Economics for International Students
- Politics and Global Development for International Students
- Social Anthropology and Global Development for International Students
- Introduction to Media Studies for International Students
- Introduction to Natural Resources for International Development for International Students
How will I be assessed?
Assessment is a combination of formal examinations and coursework, including written assignments, practical exercises, group and individual research projects, presentations and problem-solving exercises.
English language requirements: IELTS 5.5 (with a minimum of 5.5 in writing and no less than 5.0 in other subskills) or equivalent
Age requirements: 17 years and above.
All students commencing courses on a published September start date must be 17 years old by 31 December of that calendar year.
Academic requirements: Satisfactory completion of A-levels at grades CCC, first year of overseas university degree with good grades or equivalent.
September 2023 start
- Mon 16 September 2024 - Fri 13 December 2024
- Mon 6 January 2025 - Fri 19 March 2025
- Mon 5 April 2025 - Fri 11 June 2025
Additional course-related fees will apply.
We are committed to ensuring that costs do not act as a barrier to those aspiring to come to a world leading university and have developed a funding package to reward those with excellent qualifications and assist those from lower income backgrounds.