- Cells and tissues: adult stem cells, biomedicine, cancer biology, developmental biology
- Molecular microbiology: biochemistry, physiology, microbial cell cycle and microbial ecology
- Organisms and the environment: biodiversity, conservation, behavioural ecology, evolutionary ecology, evolutionary biology, macroecology, molecular ecology, molecular evolution, population biology
- Plant sciences: plant RNA biology
- Synthetic biology of plants and microbes
Find out more on the Biological Sciences webpages.
- Analytical and bio-analytical chemistry
- Chemical biology and bioorganic and bioinorganic chemistry
- Computational and theoretical chemistry
- Energy materials
- Molecular and structural biochemistry
- Synthetic biology
- Synthetic organic, inorganic and materials chemistry
- Ultrafast laser spectroscopy
Find out more on the Chemistry webpages.
- Computational biology and bioinformatics
- Cyber security
- Data analytics for improved decision making
- Data mining and knowledge discovery
- Graphics, vision, and speech
- Internet of things and edge computing
- Machine learning and statistics and data science
- Telecommunications and connected society
Find out more on the Computing Sciences webpages.
- Functional materials
- Low carbon and renewable energy systems
- Modelling and simulation in engineering systems
Find out more on the Engineering webpages.
- Climate research and climate change
- Ecology and environmental biology
- Environmental economics and ecosystem services
- Geosciences and natural hazards
- Human and physical geography of the environment
- Ocean and atmospheric sciences
- Science, society and sustainability
Find out more on the Environmental Sciences webpages.
- Algebra and combinatorics
- Biological and industrial mathematics
- Environmental mathematics
- Fluid and solid mechanics
- Mathematical physics
- Quantum fluids
- Representation theory
- Scientific computing
Find out more on the Mathematics webpages.
- Drug delivery and pharmaceutical materials
- Medicinal chemistry
- Medicines management
- Pharmaceutical cell biology
Find out more on the Pharmacy webpages.
Biological Sciences and Medicine: Norwich Bioscience Institutes
John Innes Centre, the Quadram Institute Bioscience (formerly the Institute of Food Research), the Earlham Institute and The Sainsbury Laboratory cover the following themes:
- Evolutionary biology and population genomics
- Food safety
- Genomics, computational and systems biology
- Gut: biology, health, and microbiome
- Molecular microbiology
- Plant and crop growth, development and yield
- Plant and microbial metabolism and biological chemistry
- Plant bioactives and foods for health
- Plant pathogens and innate immunity
- Synthetic biology and biotechnology
Find out more on the Norwich Bioscience Institutes webpages.