These sites give free access to maps and services. However, users must read and abide by the copyright information at each site. These are just a few of the online sites providing maps in the UK. A Google search will reveal many more, as well as for locations world-wide.
- Ordnance Survey 'Get-A-Map' - UK from simplified regional maps to Landranger scale 1:50K.
- Edina Digimap – online and downloadable OS maps for educational use; accessed using UEA username and password (http://digimap.edina.ac.uk/). Annotate maps, photographs and sketches in the field using an app called Skitch.
- Google Maps - UK site
- Multimap - UK at 1:100K, London streets at 1:10K, World at 100K
- Streetmap UK - UK at 1:100K, London streets at 1:10K. Locations selectable by postcode, street or place – or, click to use the old site if wanting to use OS Grid Refs or Lat/Long
- British History Online – includes old maps
- Election Maps – British national and local constituencies
- Environment Agency maps – regional to local level maps for flooding, bathing water quality, etc.,etc.
- Landmark Information Old Maps - Ordnance Survey 1st edition County Series maps (1846-1899) at 1:10,560 (6" to 1 mile), in GIF format.
- London and Environs Maps and Views – 73 high quality London maps and views from AD 190
- Magic – an interactive map service providing environmental information for the UK
- Land Information System – including Soil Site Reporter, an online soil reporting tool producing site-specific information, operated by Cranfield University
- Norfolk Studies Library E-Map Explorer - Online images of tithe maps, enclosure maps, 1946 and 1988 aerial photos and 1st edition 6" County Series maps for Norfolk; searchable by place name, postcode and OS grid reference
- Norfolk Historical Map Explorer is to be the new name and new site for E-Map Explorer (be aware that searches may have to be carried out on this site if E-Map Explorer fails)
- Researching Historic Buildings in the British Isles – background to subject as well as historical maps
- UKSeaMap - Marine seabed landscapes and water column features of UK seas
- Old Maps Online – free access to old UK and Worldwide maps held in various collections (www.oldmapsonline.org)
- Quick Maps - Small scale general maps of the world, continents and countries. Also, flags and internet country codes.
- Perry Castaneda Map Library - World maps at various scales, even for the smallest islands
- Streetmap UK Grid Converter - Converts OS grid references to lat / long and vice versa
- Latitude/Longitude Look-up - Courtesy of Astrodienst
- Geotrans (Geographic Translator) - An application program which converts geographic coordinates among a wide variety of coordinate systems, map projections, and datums
- Royal Mail Post Codes - To find a postcode from an address or an address from a postcode. You will need to register to access this service.
- United States ZIP Codes - Find a ZIP code, including a list of state abbreviations.
- Geographer's Craft - Everything you ever wanted to know about:
- Map Projections
- Coordinate Systems
- Geodetic Datums
- Aerial Photography and Remote Sensing
- Cartographic Communication
- Map Tools - Straightforward guides to using the Universal Transverse Mercator coordinate system, with helpful tools.
- ODDENS' Bookmarks has thousands of cartographic links worldwide.
- gpsinformation.net - Reviews of GPS hardware and software; an excellent in-depth site.
- The GPS Store - US online store.
- Free or purchased apps from Android Market for everyday or off-road maps
- BackCountry Navigator PRO – GPS and download of online maps for offline use ViewRange GPS – online maps with GPS
- Outdoor Atlas – GPS and offline use of maps (esp Switzerland, USA, Canada, New Zealand – more being added)
- Google Maps
- Canada Maps Topo 1:50,000
- New Zealand Maps
- Maps + Compass – GPS plus detailed mapping (http://www.apple.com/iphone/built-in-apps/maps-compass.html)