These sites give free access to maps and services. However, users must read and abide by the copyright information at each site. These are just a few of the online sites providing maps in the UK. A Google search will reveal many more, as well as for locations world-wide.
- Ordnance Survey 'Get-A-Map' - UK from simplified regional maps to Landranger scale 1:50K.
- Edina Digimap – online and downloadable OS maps for educational use; accessed using UEA username and password (http://digimap.edina.ac.uk/). Digimap have just released an Android app called Fieldtrip GB which is designed as an aid to fieldwork, making it possible to annotate maps, photographs and sketches in the field when used with another app called Skitch.
- Google Maps - UK site
- Multimap - UK at 1:100K, London streets at 1:10K, World at 100K
- Streetmap UK - UK at 1:100K, London streets at 1:10K. Locations selectable by postcode, street or place – or, click to use the old site if wanting to use OS Grid Refs or Lat/Long
- British History Online – includes old maps
- Election Maps – British national and local constituencies
- Environment Agency maps – regional to local level maps for flooding, bathing water quality, etc.,etc.
- Landmark Information Old Maps - Ordnance Survey 1st edition County Series maps (1846-1899) at 1:10,560 (6" to 1 mile), in GIF format.
- London and Environs Maps and Views – 73 high quality London maps and views from AD 190
- Magic – an interactive map service providing environmental information for the UK
- Land Information System – including Soil Site Reporter, an online soil reporting tool producing site-specific information, operated by Cranfield University
- Norfolk Studies Library E-Map Explorer - Online images of tithe maps, enclosure maps, 1946 and 1988 aerial photos and 1st edition 6" County Series maps for Norfolk; searchable by place name, postcode and OS grid reference
- Norfolk Historical Map Explorer is to be the new name and new site for E-Map Explorer (be aware that searches may have to be carried out on this site if E-Map Explorer fails)
- Researching Historic Buildings in the British Isles – background to subject as well as historical maps
- UKSeaMap - Marine seabed landscapes and water column features of UK seas
- Old Maps Online – free access to old UK and Worldwide maps held in various collections (www.oldmapsonline.org)
- Quick Maps - Small scale general maps of the world, continents and countries. Also, flags and internet country codes.
- Perry Castaneda Map Library - World maps at various scales, even for the smallest islands
- Streetmap UK Grid Converter - Converts OS grid references to lat / long and vice versa
- Latitude/Longitude Look-up - Courtesy of Astrodienst
- Geotrans (Geographic Translator) - An application program which converts geographic coordinates among a wide variety of coordinate systems, map projections, and datums
- Royal Mail Post Codes - To find a postcode from an address or an address from a postcode. You will need to register to access this service.
- United States ZIP Codes - Find a ZIP code, including a list of state abbreviations.
- Geographer's Craft - Everything you ever wanted to know about:
- Map Projections
- Coordinate Systems
- Geodetic Datums
- Aerial Photography and Remote Sensing
- Cartographic Communication
- Map Tools - Straightforward guides to using the Universal Transverse Mercator coordinate system, with helpful tools.
- ODDENS' Bookmarks has thousands of cartographic links worldwide.
- gpsinformation.net - Reviews of GPS hardware and software; an excellent in-depth site.
- The GPS Store - US online store.
- Free or purchased apps from Android Market for everyday or off-road maps
- BackCountry Navigator PRO – GPS and download of online maps for offline use ViewRange GPS – online maps with GPS
- Outdoor Atlas – GPS and offline use of maps (esp Switzerland, USA, Canada, New Zealand – more being added)
- Google Maps
- Canada Maps Topo 1:50,000
- New Zealand Maps
- Maps + Compass – GPS plus detailed mapping (http://www.apple.com/iphone/built-in-apps/maps-compass.html)