The research degrees offered by the School of Social Work are:
Master of Philosophy
Master of Philosophy students are registered for a maximum two years full-time or four years part-time. The degree is awarded on the basis of a maximum 65,000 word thesis and oral examination.
PhD students are registered for a maximum three years full-time or six years part-time. Assessment is based on the production of a thesis of a maximum 100,000 words and oral examination.
The School also offers a taught programme of postgraduate study which offers a sound grounding in research methods training. This is particularly suitable for those needing to develop these skills to progress to PhD research:
- Master of Research in Social Science Research Methods (Social Work and Social Policy)
If you are interested in applying for postgraduate study you might want to look at information on how to apply. If you are interested in an Masters of Philosophy or PhD then see Studentships and supervisors in Social Work and Social Policy.
Research training and support
- Each research student has their own supervisory team which plays a vital role in the development of the research project. The supervisors work closely with their student throughout the period of registration.
- A research student group provides a focal point for research development and peer support.
- The School has a thriving postgraduate research community with full-time and part-time Masters and PhD students from both the United Kingdom and overseas.
- All postgraduate research students take part in a faculty-wide programme of personal and professional development, and the School offers a stimulating programme of advanced training. This includes an annual research student workshop.
For further information please contact us.
CURRENT POSTGRADUATE RESEARCH OPPORTUNITIES
Postgraduate Research in Social Work
SeNSS student-led ESRC PhD studentships
UEA is a member of the South East Network for Social Sciences (SeNSS), which is a research and doctoral training partnership funded by the Economic and Social...