UEA is an award-winning, highly ranked university situated in a city steeped in history and culture, with a wealth of tourist attractions and entertainment. 

Norwich and the United Kingdom

Studying in the UK will give you the opportunity to work with students from all over the world, make lifetime friendships and gain essential career and language skills. British people are welcoming and the UEA community is diverse so it won’t take long to find your place with us – take up tea-drinking and you’re half way there.

By choosing to study at UEA, you’ll be living in Norwich, one of the UK’s safest, happiest and most beautiful cities. It’s a fantastic mix of new and old England, with traditional markets, plenty of friendly pubs and a stunning cathedral that towers above it all. The University's location is perfect, with the option to walk, cycle or take a short bus ride to the city centre.  

Norwich CofE Cathedral

Moving your family to the UK

UEA provide services, support and advice to help in adjusting to life in Norwich. Moving with your family to a new place of study is an important decision and we have information for families to ensure that you and they are fully informed, so you are able to thrive academically.

Norwich is a beautiful city that’s perfect for children of all ages. There are a range of great schools nearby, a fantastic library, a number of charming museums, art galleries and even a dry ski slope! The younger members of your family will love exploring the play zones and running around our many spacious, green areas.   

Norwich is an excellent place to raise children. Safe, green and easily navigated, Norwich is a family-orientated city with plenty going on.

There are lots of places to take your children to explore, learn and have fun:

Laughing students at UEA


The Advice Centre in the Union of UEA Students can offer guidance on housing, employment and benefits and further information is available using the links below.

Most students with families live in rented housing in the community close to local families with children, schools, shops, public transport and other amenities.

The Student Union's Advice Centre offers a service called Home Run which helps students find safe, comfortable and fairly priced accommodation off campus. It provides a list of reputable local estate agents who welcome student families as tenants. The Home Run advisers can be relied on to provide information and advice on all aspects of renting in the private sector which may be particularly helpful if you have never rented housing in the UK before. Once you have found a house, the advisers will be happy to check over your lease before you sign to make sure everything is in order.


There are a variety of types of childcare available in the UK which will meet your needs.

The UEA Nursery offers high quality day care for babies from 6 weeks and children until starting school. If you would have difficulty meeting the fees, you can apply for help from the Nursery Hardship Fund. The waiting list for the UEA can be long and you may have to look for alternative childcare options.  For further information visit our Childcare and Family Life pages.

Financial help for students with dependent children

You can find information about the financial help available to UEA students, including help for students with dependent children, within the Student Support Service section of our site.

Norfolk County Council provides services and advice about childcare, activities for young people and education from pre-school to high school. You will find the Council's website especially useful if you need to find out about local schools.


Fee paying schools are available and a full list can be found on The Independent Schools Council website. Norfolk County Council has a School Finder website to help you find schools in your area.

Your child will be allocated a place in a school near to where you live, so it is important you know where your accommodation will be before applying to a school, and you may want to take this into consideration when finding a place to live. Not all state schools are of the same standard and you should check the school in person before applying. 

If you and your children are staying for more than 6 months, by law they must attend school full time from the age of 5 to 16. Children over the age of 16 and adults can attend further education classes at a college, but a fee must be paid.

Further information

For more information about schools and how you can help your child, the following websites contain a wide range of information, advice and services available to you and your children.

The UK Government website has a huge range of information for parents about schools, childcare, your family and children's development, and much much more.

Norfolk County Council Children's Services A wide range of services and advice to help with childcare, schools, finances, and support.