We are delighted that you are thinking of applying for a place as a research student at Norwich Business School. Our efforts to develop an active research environment and prepare students for a career in research is evidenced by the fact that our PGR students find appointments in good UK universities (e.g. Essex, Edinburgh, and Cranfield) and overseas (e.g. Chinese and Greek) universities while others find employment in the private sector. We will consider applications which comply with the requirements below.
Candidates for the MPhil/PhD programme will be expected to have a Masters' degree in a related subject. The normal entry requirement is a good merit (or average of at least 65%) at a recognised Masters' course in the UK or equivalent. Your Masters' must have a research component (such as research methods and a research dissertation). Exceptionally, you may be considered for direct entry if there is other evidence of research potential.
If English is not your native language, you must fulfill the Language Requirements
These are the seven pieces of information that we need to receive from you:
- A completed application form
- Your research proposal of up to 2,000 words. Take a look at our advice on preparing your research proposal.
- Official transcripts (in English) of your higher education qualifications
- Evidence of your English proficiency if English is not your first language
- Two references
- Personal statement of 500 to 1,000 words
- A CV detailing your work experience to date
The Application Form
Applications can apply online, but before preparing your application please:
- Identify which of the research groups within the NBS your research interests lie. You can find the information on the areas we offer supervision. Please list on the title page of your proposal which research area your proposal falls under. We will only consider applications that fall within our areas of supervision. Failure to identify the area of supervision will result in rejection of your proposal. Please also indicate your preferred/potential first supervisor.
- Identify at least one member of staff at Norwich Business School who might be your supervisor. Contact the potential supervisor(s) expressing your interest. Please ensure that you attach a preliminary proposal. Staff are unable to suggest ideas/topics for research proposals, but most are willing to discuss early drafts of research proposals.
- Read your potential supervisor's academic papers that are recent and related to your research interest. References to these can be found on individual staff member's webpages.
- Make sure your chosen field is relevant to one or more of the papers written by the member of staff.
- In your application you should state potential supervisors, your subject area and research topic. We do not consider applications that do not fall within the areas of research of NBS staff.
Writing a research proposal
Please note that a research proposal of up to 2,000 words is required from students applying for our MPhil/PhD programmes. Find out more about how to write your research proposal.
Norwich Business School requires two references and you will need to request these. These can be two academic references, or if you have relevant work experience these can be one academic reference and one employment reference.
References should be provided on official headed stationery. They should be in sealed envelopes with the referee's signature across the seal to ensure confidentiality.
Please also include a personal statement of 500 to 1,000 words, outlining why you want to undertake your postgraduate research study at Norwich Business School.
If you have already received your official graduation certificate (in English) please include this with your application.
Applications and enquiries may also be sent to the following address:
Faculty of Social Sciences
Postgraduate Research Office (PPE)
Elizabeth Fry Building, 2.30
University of East Anglia
Norwich, NR4 7TJ
Enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org; Telephone: +44 (0)1603 591709
Submit an application to: email@example.com; Telephone: +44 (0)1603 597231
For details on admission and scholarship opportunities, please contact our PGR Director Dr Min Zhang by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org