Norwich is easy to navigate by bicycle.
Cycling to campus has many health benefits and could be a cheaper and more environmentally friendly way of getting in. Going by bike or on foot for short journeys can be less time consuming when you factor in finding a parking space or sitting in traffic.
UEA have invested over £1 million on cycle infrastructure over the last 10 years. This investment has ensured that the campus now has over 3,600 cycle parking spaces, improved lighting, and CCTV on the cross-valley link. We recommend using a D-lock to lock your bicycle to a cycle rack.
Norwich has seven colour-coded cycle routes known as Pedalways. These key routes – totalling 58 miles – have been colour coded on a Norwich cycle map and corresponding stickers have been placed along the routes to help cyclists find their way.
Pink Pedalway Route
A route spanning from Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital to Heartsease
UEA is located on the pink Pedalway route, an eight-mile cycling route which crosses the city from the Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital and UEA, through the city centre, to Heartsease and Broadland. View the route on the Norwich Cycle Map.
The quickest way to get to the city centre from UEA by bike is along the Pink Pedalway:
- Along Avenues Road
- Across Unthank Road
- Along Essex Street
- Along Vauxhall Street, in front of Jenny Lind Park
- Through Chapelfield Gardens
You can also pick up the Green Pedalway down Earlham Road and through Pottergate.
There are over 400 Beryl Bikes located at 93 Beryl Bays across Norwich. Thirteen of those bays are on campus, including being located at:
- The Sportspark
- Dr Bike
- Chancellors Drive
- Colney Lane
- The Sainsbury Centre
- Barton House
- Britton House
To use a Beryl Bike, simply download the app, find a bike near you and unlock it. Enjoy the ride, then park in a Beryl Bay or in a considerate location of your choice.
Beryl Bikes can be rented on a ‘pay as you ride’ basis. You can also pay for unlimited rides for 24 hours, or purchase bundles of ride minutes. For more information, visit the Beryl Bikes Website.
Almost 20% of UEA Staff and students regularly cycle to campus to make use of cycle ways and covered cycle storage.
We offer spaces in locked cycle compounds free-of-charge to offer cyclists extra peace of mind while working or studying on campus. The spaces for the compounds are on a first come, first served basis. Bike locks are not provided but can be purchased from The Lodge on campus. There are also cycle lockers within the ZICER compound available to store cycle attire and accessories securely. Padlocks are not provided.
Advice for cyclists from THINK! cycle safety campaign:
- You must not cycle on a pavement, unless there is a marked, dedicated cycle path. This is UK law.
- Look and signal to show drivers what you plan to do. Make eye contact where possible.
- Avoid riding up the inside of vehicles, as you might not be seen. If a vehicle is indicating to the left hang back at the junction to reduce the risk of a collision.
- At night your cycle must have white front and red rear lights lit. It must also be fitted with a red rear reflector. This is UK law.
- Wear high-visibility and reflective clothing and accessories at all times.
- Wear a correctly fitted cycle helmet that is securely fastened and conforms to current regulations.
We have Dr Bike based on campus to help you with all your bike maintenance needs.
The campus-wide Bicycle User Group (BUG) has started back up and will act as a focus group and ideas forum for the cycling community.
If you would like more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.