The Pre-sessional English course provides a short and intensive preparation in English language and
study skills for students who are already academically qualified and are due to start an undergraduate
or postgraduate degree at the University of East Anglia.
Why should I take the Pre-sessional?
INTO UEA offers tailor-made Pre-sessional courses in areas such as Law, Computing, Science,
Economics, Business and Research. While many students expect subject-specific content, few
universities in the UK offer this as part of a Pre-sessional course.
These Pre-sessional courses offer the following advantages:
- Teaching tailored to the requirements of your study at the University of East Anglia.
- Learning with students studying the same, or very similar subjects.
- Studying content-specific vocabulary, grammar, style and structure.
- Attending lectures from content specialists, on topics relevant to your future studies.
- Reading texts whose topic, level and length relates to your future studies.
- Writing assignments and exams that reflect University of East Anglia requirements.
- Practise speaking in situations and on topics related to your future studies.
Who should apply for this course?
This 20-hour-per-week course is suitable for you if you are academically qualified, hold an offer from
the University of East Anglia, and want to improve your English language level before starting an
undergraduate or postgraduate course in September. The Pre-sessional course runs from late May to
early September – your course length will depend on your current language level and degree
Students with offers for the 12, 8, 6 or 4 week course may be eligible for a joint CAS, which allows them to apply for a visa to cover both the Pre-sessional course and subsequent degree. To be considered for this, students need to pay the INTO Pre-sessional initial payment and any academic conditions on the UEA offer need to have been met.