The School of Environmental Sciences obtained a Silver Award as part of the ECU Athena SWAN Charter, in 2017.
The ECU Athena SWAN Charter was instituted to encourage and recognise commitment and effort to advancing the careers of women in science, technology, engineering, maths and medicine (STEMM) employment in higher education and research. It has recently been expanded to address diversity and gender equality more broadly (for more information, see the Athena Swan Charter http://www.ecu.ac.uk/equality-charters/athena-swan/).
The School has implemented and championed a number of initiatives to support staff and students:
- A workload model to work towards fair and transparent responsibilities for members of staff
- Researchers Affairs Forum to ensure that researchers have a voice within the school, underpinning the seven principles of the "Concordat to Support the Career Development of Researchers"
- Encouragement for staff to undertake the Harvard "unconscious bias" test
- Articles within the School's Daily Bulletin to staff promoting equality and diversity measures within the School
- ‘Coffee-time' equality and diversity sessions in the School's social space
Forthcoming meetings - all at 2.00pm and held in Keith Clayton Seminar Room SCI 01.38 unless stated differently
- Thursday 14th December 2017
- Wednesday 10th January 2018
- Wednesday 7th February 2018
- Wednesday 7th March 2018
- Wednesday 18th April 2018
- Wednesday 9th May 2018
- Wednesday 6th June 2018
- Wednesday 4th July 2018