The School of Chemistry runs a wide range of events that are for schools and the wider public. There is a team who are dedicated to engaging all ages, from primary school children to the members of the University of the Third Age.
The School of Chemistry runs the following events every year:
- Spectroscopy Showcases – an ongoing programme of visits to the Chemistry School for Yr 12 and 13 pupils to see spectroscopy in action.
- Spectroscopy in a Suitcase – the portable IR and uv-visible spectrometers can be booked to be taken out to schools with postgraduate ambassadors.
- Salters' Festival of Chemistry – a day of practical competition for Yr 7 and 8 pupils.
- Young Analysts Competition – the area heats of the National Royal Society of Chemistry Young Analysts Competition for Yr 12 pupils.
- Workshops in the Chemistry and Pharmacy summer school.
- The Science Olympiad – two days of practical competitions for Yr 3-6 (Primary day) and Yr 7-10 and Yr 12 (Secondary day).
- Science in Norwich – a day of fun for all the family in the Forum to which the Chemistry School contributes.
- Café Scientifique – colleagues often contribute to the local programme of informal scientific discussions.
Sixth Form Conference - 22 and 25th June 2018
An opportunity for Year 12 students to find out more about university and the courses on offer. Students can join a campus tour with our Student Ambassadors, take part in interactive subject-specific sessions and get advice about student finances and UCAS.
- Capacity 350 students
- 10.00am - 15.00pm (registration from 9.15am)
- FREE event
- Individuals book your place to attend
- Schools can book a maximum of 50 places (where available).
Chemistry & Pharmacy Summer School – 1st-3rd July 2018Join us at UEA for an exciting two-day residential experience from Sunday 1st - Tuesday 3rd July and enhance your personal statement part of your UCAS application. During the Summer School you will:
- Attend hands-on subject sessions giving you the chance to experience working in our undergraduate laboratory
- Be given a practical introduction to problem based learning
- Look at the science and technology behind the development and manufacturing of tablets
- Explore how useful chemistry can be and have the option to visit our research labs to find out more about our world leading research
- Have the opportunity to chat with some of our academics and students to find out more about studying Chemistry and Pharmacy.
£175 per student which includes accommodation, meals and activities. Free places and support with travel costs is available to students whose household income is less than £25,000 or who are in care.
Chemistry Taster Day, October 2018
Each year the School of Chemistry hosts a free Taster Day for Year 13 students. The programme for the 2017 event can be found here.
Watch this page for an announcement of the 2018 date or email email@example.com to be kept informed.
In addition to this we run workshops for events organised by our Admissions, Recruitment and Marketing department – in the last year we ran workshops as part of the "Bringing Scientists to You", the East Norfolk Triple Science Network event and Student Life Sciences Conferences at the John Innes centre, and the five day Headstart Summer School.
Find out more
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Community University Engagement (CUE)
UEA has a small dedicated Community University Engagement team who are on hand to advise staff and students about different aspects of their engagement activity including ideas, planning, evaluation and impact. Financial and practical assistance is also available via a Small Expenses Fund and the loan of equipment such as audio recorders. You can find more information and case studies on the Community University Engagement website.