We are proud of achieving Silver Award as part of the ECU Athena Swan Charter
We have implemented and championed a number of initiatives to support staff and students. These have included:
- A workload model to work towards fair and transparent responsibilities for members of staff.
- Regular articles for our digital and hard copy materials to promote equality and diversity measures within the School.
- Collating staff and student feedback on equality and diversity matters via surveys for action and discussion.
- Adding positive action wording and family-friendly and flexible working information to job vacancies.
- Implementing unconscious bias training and guidance for staff involved in recruitment. Encouraging staff to undertake an unconscious bias test.
- Increasing the profile of female role models with our digital and poster campaigns.
- Sharing best practice at the Faculty Athena SWAN Steering Group and Central Athena SWAN Operational Group meetings.
- Scheduling School meetings within core hours (10am–4pm) wherever possible.
- Promoting and raising awareness of the Science Return to Work Career Development Fund.
- Supporting students with information and guidance about progression to postgraduate study.
- We have Champions that help with guidance and support for our staff. For example, a Care Leave Champion for any care related queries or feedback. Our Disability Liaison officer provides staff and students with a point of reference for advice and guidance about disability issues and support.