The Primary PGCE programme is designed to prepare you to teach in the 3–7 or 5–11 years age range. The aim is for you to become a confident and highly reflective Newly Qualified Teacher (NQT).
Developed in partnership with schools, our Primary PGCE programme places great emphasis on practical skills and preparing you for the realities of classroom teaching. Throughout your time on the course you will learn to link theory and practice, inspire a love of learning and develop as a reflective classroom practitioner. The programme includes 120 days of school experience in partnership schools, spread across all three terms. You’ll develop your teaching in two main school placements and teach primarily in two age bands within your chosen age range.
WHAT YOU’LL GAIN
- Specialist teaching in different curriculum areas to develop your subject knowledge and understanding of how to put this into practice
- A professional development programme closely interwoven and linked with your school experience
- An understanding of how to use evidence and research to inform and improve your practice
- Confidence in managing pupils’ behaviour effectively
- Opportunities to make a range of choices during the course to develop your personal areas of interest and strength to shape your teaching career.