Founded by Royal Charter in 1963, UEA was built to embody a radical new vision for higher education, where interdisciplinarity is crucial and the highest standards in both research and teaching are valued.
Today, as a result, we are an exceptional dual intensive research and teaching university with an outstanding global reputation. Founded for the region, by the region, we are proud of our role in the East of England.
As a civic university, an employer and an educator based on Norwich Research Park, we are committed to delivering for the region. We support business growth and develop the entrepreneurs and highly-skilled workforce our economy needs.
In addition to a £559m annual contribution to the region’s economy, our partnerships, innovation, widening participation, and public engagement activities have a wider societal and cultural impact.
Over the past 60 years, UEA staff and students have made enormous contributions to our world in the areas of research, teaching and regional advancement. These have been recognised in many ways including an impressive array of glittering prizes and awards. Amongst our alumni and current staff, we count three Nobel prize winners and many fellows of the Royal Society and British Academy.
UEA was established to focus on the new and novel. Our coat of arms bears the motto ‘Do Different’, derived from the local dialect ‘in Norfolk we du different’.
This captures the independent spirit and sensibilities of East Anglians, our willingness to challenge the status quo and our imperative to think creatively. We ask questions and critically evaluate the world, always seeking deeper understanding and improved outcomes. We are bold risk takers, never settling for second best. Throughout our history we have done things differently and we commit to continue this into our future.
Diagram showing UEA's accolade
- 1st UK University for Job Prospects - Voted for by students in the Student Crowd Survey 2022
- 7 years Green Flag Award winner for the quality of our green spaces
- 20th UK University for Research - THE Education Rankings for the Research Excellence Framework 2021
- 36th globally for sustainability impact - Times Higher Education Impact rankings 2023
- Top 50 globally for research citations - Times Higher Education rankings 2022
- £559m annual gross value added to the economy of the region
- 91% of our research rated 'world-leading' or 'internationally excellent' - UK Research Excellence Framework 2021
- 23rd UK University in the UK Complete University Guide 2024
- 3 Queen's Anniversary Prizes for our research and teaching
- 6 National Teaching Fellows across our academic staff - AdvancedHE
- 7 Fellows of the Royal Society on staff
- 8 Fellows of the British Academy on staff
- 3 Nobel Prize winners across our UEA Alumni