For us to achieve success, UEA will need to be an outstanding organisation.
We aim to build a best-in-class university organisation with a highly motivated staff community, effective processes and systems, and first rate external partnerships.
People and community
Our culture and community helps to attract, retain and support talented staff. We will continue to build an environment where staff feel deeply connected with our vision and have the skills, motivation, time and reward for delivering it productively. Investing in staff development will allow us to attract the best talent, support high-quality leadership and management and create a culture in which our staff are engaged in our strategic activities. Wellbeing and Equality, Diversity and Inclusion are key.
Like many universities we need to be more efficient with our resources and improve the quality of our operational delivery. We have identified several strategic enablers that need additional focus.
- Infrastructure. Our culture and community helps to attract, retain and support talented staff. We will continue to build an environment where staff feel deeply connected with our vision and have the skills, motivation, time and reward for delivering it productively. Investing in staff development will allow us to attract the best talent, support high-quality leadership and management and create a culture in which our staff are engaged in our strategic activities. Wellbeing and Equality, Diversity and Inclusion are key.
- Sustainability. This is at the heart of all that we stand for and do at UEA - a focus on the ‘triple bottom line’ of economic, environmental and social sustainability. We have operated at a deficit for the last few years but will return to a position of financial sustainability. We aim to be an exemplar for resource usage and the impact of our activities. Ensuring that our activities enhance the prospects of our people and those in the communities we serve supports our goal to be socially responsible and sustainable.
- Operating model. Fundamental to realising our ambition is changing how we work to deliver success. Our operating model will be completely aligned to our research and innovation, and student education and experience core purposes. We will implement the right functions, processes, systems, ways of working and structures, ensuring agility and flexibility of delivery.
External engagement and partnerships
We will strengthen local, national and global research, innovation and education partnerships. Improving collaboration with our Research Park partners will support our research and innovation strategy. We will also increase participation from across the East of England and develop transnational student education.
Our regional engagement will be further enhanced by our Civic Charter, student recruitment and knowledge exchange activities. Our reputation will be strengthened by developing our international relationships and profile, optimising staff and student exchange opportunities, enhancing our global community on campus and equipping our students to be global citizens.
To achieve this, we will:
- Enhance engagement. We will expand the quantity and quality of partnerships at local, national and international level, ensuring that they always add value to our core purposes.
- Invest in the development of staff. We will build a comprehensive development framework providing opportunities for UEA staff at all levels, embedding the values and culture necessary for success.
- Develop fit for purpose infrastructure. We will invest in our digital infrastructure to support our core purposes. For a high-quality physical estate, we will prioritise and balance the continued refurbishment of our historic buildings with continued selective investment across our campus.
- Deliver sustainability. We will ensure that we are financially resilient, including a sufficient margin for investment. We will also maintain our commitment to 100% net zero campus emissions by 2045 and high standards of social responsibility.
- Establish unified professional services. We intend to create a single, unified professional services team that is capable and flexible in its way of working, and organised around key processes rather than structures.