Residence Abroad

A unique opportunity

The year/semester abroad is a fantastic opportunity for you to live, work and/or study in one or more different countries, while having the full support of your degree course staff and the university.

Residence abroad not only helps in your personal and professional development, but is invaluable for gaining transferable useful skills, becoming more self-confident and for making friends of different nationalities and learning to live in another culture. The increased maturity and the intercultural awareness developed on the Year Abroad are key factors in producing confident and flexible graduates who are especially attractive to employers. 


Semester Abroad

Students on a three-year course with French or Spanish will spend the spring semester of their second year at a partner university. Intercultural Communication with Business Management students who opt for a semester abroad will spend the spring semester at a university from the wide range of UEA’s partner institutions.


Native speakers 

If you are a highly proficient native or near-native speaker of French or Spanish taking the fast track three year degree course, then you are normally exempted from the compulsory Year Abroad.

Your entry level, the degree programme and honours language(s) you are studying will determine how your residence abroad is spent.



Teaching assistants are appointed through the British Council. The British Council looks for an interest in and a commitment to teaching.

For further details of how to apply and full terms and conditions of being a English language assistant abroad please see the British Council website.


Other work placements

You may prefer to spend your time abroad in a work placement. We already have many contacts with a number of companies but if you have a particular interest, we support you in your search for a placement appropriate to your area of interest. Past students have been very enthusiastic about the benefits of working during their year abroad and find that the skills and experience they have acquired are invaluable when applying for jobs after graduating.

We issue a signed agreement with your employer stating the hours of work, your salary, and what you would be doing. 

If you want to work during your time abroad, we require that you make a back-up application to a university. 


Attending university 

If you are a double honours student taking one of your degree languages from below A level, you will normally spend your entire year in the country of the weaker language. It is strongly recommended that students follow at least some modules in the stronger language in their university placement and/or spend the summer working or studying in the country of the other language. We can provide support and advice on this.

If Japanese is your single Honours language, you must spend a minimum of 30 weeks in Japan between the second and final year of your degree.
Below are the institutions with which we currently have agreements. For more information on studying abroad, please see our Study Abroad section.

  • ISIT Intercultural School
  • Jean Moulin Lyon 3 University
  • Université de Lorraine
  • Université de Nice Sophia-Antipolis
  • University of Corsica
  • University of Tours
  • University Toulouse - Jean Jaurès
  • Université Paris Diderot
  • Université Grenoble Alpes
  • University of Reunion Island
  • University of Geneva
  • Université Laval Quebec
  • Universidad Católica de la Santísima Concepción
  • UDLAP Universidad de las Americas Puebla
  • University of Guadalajara
  • ORT Uruguay University
  • Nebrija University
  • Universidad Autonoma de Madrid
  • Universidad de Granada
  • Universidad Pablo de Olavide of Seville
  • University of Alcalá
  • University of Alicante
  • University of Castilla-La Mancha (Ciudad Real)
  • University of Murcia
  • University of Salamanca
  • University of Zaragoza
  • Akita International University
  • Gakushuin University
  • Hokkaido University
  • International Christian University
  • Kansai University
  • Kobe College
  • Meiji University
  • Meiji-Gakuin University
  • Okayama University
  • Osaka University
  • Ritsumeikan University
  • Ryukoku University
  • Sophia University
  • Waseda University
  • Yokohama National University