We have prepared a few answers to questions we're asked a lot about our accommodation and how to apply. We hope you find it useful. 

I am not guaranteed accommodation at UEA: should I still apply?


If you are not guaranteed accommodation but would like to be considered, you should still apply for a room. Whilst we will prioritise guaranteed students we will allocate any remaining rooms to non-guaranteed students. Please make sure that you apply before the accommodation deadline.

For full details about our guarantee please visit UEA Accommodation Guarantee.

Can I look inside the residences before I apply?


If you wish to do so please come to one of the UEA Open Days which include tours of residences.

If you are unable to attend an Open Day you may wish to take a look at our accommodation options. Here we have costs, room details and 360° videos to help you decide your accommodation preferences.

What kind of accommodation is provided for students with disabilities?


Our accommodation offers wheelchair accessible rooms with adapted wet-rooms in Britten House and Colman House. If you have any disability which affects your mobility, it is essential to talk to the Disability Coordinator in Student Services. We will then be able to allocate the most appropriate room, and implement any necessary adaptations before your arrival. We also have rooms adapted for hearing impaired students, and students with severe allergies.

When you apply for accommodation please make sure you complete the disability information. If you have a medical condition which will affect your room allocation, please provide us with details in the disability/medical field.

This information will be shared in confidence with Student Services to make sure we allocate the most appropriate room for you.

What if I require a single sex flat?


If you would prefer not to live with members of the opposite sex for any reason, please let us know in advance. You can enter this information in the disability/medical/other field of the online form. We will try our best to help but we cannot guarantee same-sex accommodation.

When will you tell me what room I've been allocated?


Your accommodation offer will be emailed to you shortly after your room has been allocated, and this happens after your student status has been confirmed. The majority of applicants will be allocated in the period between the end of August and the middle of September. For full details about key dates throughout the year, please refer to our timeline.

What if I haven't got my preferred type of accommodation?


We aim to allocate all applicants a room within their top three choices, but due to limited availability, this is not always possible. If you are unhappy with your allocation, let us know before you arrive and we may be able to help.

If you are unhappy with your room after you arrive, we may be able to offer a different room later in the semester. We will ask you to complete a room change form and will try to help if we can. We will begin accepting requests for room changes in October.

We charge an admin/cleaning fee of £30 for room changes.

Alternatively, you may be able to swap rooms with another student. This is at the discretion of the Accommodation Office as we need to maintain diversity within flats. The admin charge for room swaps is £5 per person.

Students are also reminded that they should never swap rooms with another student without going through the Accommodation Office. As well as being a breach of the terms and conditions, you would also be liable for damage charges incurred in your original room.

Please note that students living in Portland House and INTO UEA are not permitted to change to an empty room but may request to swap with another student.

Can I move in to my room early?


Unfortunately, we have a very tight turn-around time between residents leaving accommodation and new students arriving. It is unlikely that you will be able to move in to your room earlier than specified on your offer letter. If you have exceptional circumstances, please contact us in advance and we will try to help.

What should I bring?


Our general advice when packing would be to think of your stay in residences as an extended trip, and don't bring too much! Storage space is limited, both in your room and in the kitchen. Try not to bring expensive items, especially if you're going to store them in the kitchen.

Below is a check list of essentials to either bring with you or buy in your first few days. We have also included a list of some things which are not allowed in residences. For full details, please refer to our terms and conditions

Packing list

  • Bedding - Bedding is not provided, unless you have pre-ordered it, so bring a sheet to cover the mattress, plus a duvet or warm cover, and pillows. You can order a bedding pack before your arrival from UniKitOut and this will be delivered to your room (if items are ordered before the deadline). Other items such as pans, plates and towels can also be ordered from UniKitOut. Alternatively, a bedding pack can be purchased from the Accommodation Office for £20, which includes, duvet, pillow, and sheets.
  • Towels and toiletries - These are not provided, but if you forget your toothbrush the UEA Shop on campus stocks a range of toiletries and towels. 
  • Clothes and shoes - Bring some favourites, but don't forget that there are plenty of great shops in Norwich.
  • Books for your course - Shelf space is limited so just bring the books you need or can't bear to be without. There are several large shops in Norwich that you can buy books if you want to after you have arrived.
  • PC/Laptop/Tablet - You will need your own PC, laptop, or tablet if you want to use the network connection in your room. You can also access 24-hour computing in the Library IT suite, plus there's plenty of computing facilities available during the day right across campus.
  • Other electrical equipment - Electrical items you may wish to have in your room include an iron (ironing board provided in your flat), hairdryer, or shaver. You may wish to wait until you arrive before buying electrical items for the kitchen as flats can often end up with multiple kettles, irons and rice cookers. Some electrical items are not allowed in residences, and in particular items such as a fridge, microwave, mini-oven/grill, are strictly prohibited. If in any doubt, please check with us first.
  • Kitchen equipment - You'll need some pans, kitchen utensils (including a chopping board and knife), some crockery (plates, bowls, mugs) glasses and cutlery.
  • Bike - A bike is a convenient method of transport around Norwich, and there are some great second-hand shops to buy the perfect "getting around" bike. There are plenty of areas to lock up your bike close to the residences, but please note that bikes are not allowed anywhere inside the residences. There is also a 'Dr Bike' service on campus for bike checks and repairs. This is located next to Nelson Court.
  • Insurance - All students in an individual study bedroom will be automatically covered by the UEA block insurance. This offers basic insurance cover, which can be upgraded through Endsleigh if required. 

Items that are not permitted

  • Soft furnishings such as easy chairs, bean bags and floor cushions are a potential fire risk and are not permitted in residences.
  • Net curtains are not permitted.
  • Fridges are a potential fire risk and if too many were installed in residences could overload the electrical circuitry. Residents are only allowed a mini-fridge in their room on medical grounds. Permission must be obtained from the Accommodation Office in advance.
  • Heaters are a serious fire risk and are not permitted in residences.
  • Candles are a serious fire hazard and must not be brought into any part of the residences. University staff will confiscate any candles found - even if they are decorative and you do not intend to light them.
  • Pets are not allowed in residences: this includes fish, insects, and any other form of animal life.
  • Firearms, fireworks or other weapons (including air guns, fencing and archery equipment) are not permitted in residences.
  • Too many posters in a bedroom constitute a fire hazard, and we don't allow fabric to be hung in bedrooms for the same reason. Have a look at the Terms and Conditions regarding posters and fabrics, and bear this in mind when decorating your room.
  • Car-parking is heavily restricted on campus, and you will only be able to obtain a parking permit in exceptional circumstances. Residential areas around the University also have restrictions on parking, so you are advised not to bring a car with you. Please visit Travel and Transport for information about applying for a parking permit.
  • Smoking Pipes - Please do not bring any form of smoking pipe into the residences even if they are purely for decorative purposes. All forms of smoking are banned in all areas within UEA Accommodation.

Advice for international students


Remember that you will have to carry your luggage at some point, so pack only as much as you can carry. We are unable to store luggage in advance or after you leave. It's a good idea to buy basic kitchen and electrical items in Norwich. These can either be sold or given to charity when you leave. Some residents prefer to wait until they're here so that they can buy items together as a flat (i.e. a 'flat kettle' for the kitchen). There is usually a pots and pans sale at the Student Union in September.

  • Pack any valuable items and documents in your hand luggage. Label your luggage clearly with your full name and address at UEA.
  • Weather in East Anglia is changeable, and you should prepare for rainy conditions in autumn, and cold weather in winter.

Electrical equipment


The electricity supply in the UK is 240 volts with a frequency of 50 Hertz. Make sure that your electrical appliances are connected to a British 3-pin plug fitted with a 13-amp fuse. Electrical equipment should be PAT tested to make sure it is safe to use.

Once I've signed my licence, does that mean I have to stay in residences all year?


Signing your licence commits you to paying for your room for the full licence period.

We allow a 7-day 'cooling off' period from the start of your licence. During the first 7 days you may cancel your accommodation without any liability for rent for the remaining period of the contract. You will only be charged for the days up to when you hand back your keys if this is within 7 days.

Please refer to Paragraph 3 of the Terms and Conditions of the Licence to Occupy for full details.

The 7-day cooling off period applies to new UEA students in the first tenancy period with UEA Accommodation arriving in September or January only.

Please note that you will be required to complete a 'Termination of Licence Form' and return it to the UEA Accommodation Office. However, after this period you are committed to living in your room and paying the licence fee for the whole of the licence period. Students on second and subsequent tenancy periods (or arriving at any other time of year) are committed to their contract from the time that they sign.

Is there a damage deposit to pay?


There is no damage deposit to pay. However, you will be charged for any damage to your room not attributable to fair wear and tear. In the case of communal areas, we contact residents of the flat/area to determine who was responsible for the damage. If no one admits responsibility, all residents of a particular flat or house will be charged for the cost of repair or replacement of damaged items.