Finances Finances

It's no secret. Travel and study abroad costs money...

Students studying abroad will have to cover all their travel, accommodation and living expenses for their year abroad. The cost of living is higher in some regions, states, or cities (particularly California, New York, Hawaii, Melbourne and Sydney) and the exchange Year Abroad Agreements vary considerably in what costs are required (e.g. on-campus accommodation, mandatory meal plan, mandatory health insurance, registration or student activity fees, etc.). Using a budget template will assist you with assessing your own financial plans for your year abroad and also every partner university will list estimated costs of living (or costs of attendance) on their website so research this yourself fully. Additionally, you should refer to the 'Estimated costs of the year abroad' section of the latest Study Abroad Guide for the estimated proof of finances / funds required by host universities which you will be required to show as part of the visa application (January - April). You will be required to prove you have access to at least the minimum amount of funds stated to support yourself abroad in the form of current & savings bank statements, guarantor/sponsor letters, student finance letter, proof of scholarship/bursary, etc.

If you are in receipt of financial support from the Student Loans Company/Student Finance then your maintenance loan and/or grant are portable to your year (or semester) abroad. Please refer to the guidance document regarding Student Finance and the Travel Grant which some students may be eligible for. 

Students studying or working in Europe as part of their degree at UEA may be eligible for an Erasmus+ grant

Additional Expenses Additional Expenses

Over and above money students will spend on housing abroad, food, travel and books, the following are expenses Study Abroad students should account for in their budget:

  • Flights and other travel to destination / host university
  • Mandatory fees such as admin fees and student activity fees at the host university (if applicable, this depends on the partner university)
  • Visa application fees (if applicable, this depends on the student’s nationality and on the study abroad destination)
  • Proof of funds when applying for a visa (this depends on the host university)
  • Mandatory health insurance at host university (if applicable, this depends on the partner university)
  • Travel insurance fees
  • Compulsory meal plan at host university (if applicable, this depends on partner university)
  • Medical costs (some universities / countries require X-ray, blood tests, vaccinations and medical history results which may be charged for)

In general, UEA’s partner universities list estimated costs of living on their webpages, so all students are required to research about possible costs of their study abroad period. Working locally may be allowed but may be restricted depending on e.g. visa conditions. Scholarships may be available at some of UEA’s partner universities.

Student Finance England provides support in terms of a Travel Grant for which students may qualify and which may cover travel costs to and from the destination, health insurance costs and certain visa application costs.

For more information, please see UEA's Planning Office advice.

Scholarships Scholarships

UEA offers a number of scholarships to support students studying abroad. More details and application information can be found on the scholarship pages.