We’ve compiled a list of your most common questions around Master’s study. Whether you're curious about contact hours, funding, or working during your studies, we've got the answers you need.

It depends which course it is and when the start date is. If it's a January or February starting course, you will be able to start the online registration process 4 weeks before the start of your course. Once you have completed that then you will get the option to select your optional modules.

For September starters, you won't pick your optional modules until the end of August.

Reading lists are usually available about 4 weeks before the start of the course.

Once your start date approaches, you will receive registration and induction information from us. You can also read through our guide to your next steps in the meantime.

For a full-time Master’s course, you will usually have between five and ten hours of weekly contact time, including seminars, lectures and workshops. Laboratory-based Master’s will have more contact hours, usually around 20 hours per week. You’ll also be expected to dedicate at least 30 to 35 hours of independent study per week.

Part-time Master’s courses will generally have half the hours of a full-time course, as the hours are spread over 2 years. However, timetables vary and some weeks and semesters will be busier than others, so you will still need to make yourself available and be able to attend the university when required.

You will know your timetable in advance, so will be able to plan your time accordingly around your contact hours and independent study time.

Yes, absolutely. Just be mindful of the number of hours you are working and whether this will impact your course and study. Working whilst studying could offer financial support and also professional experience, and the opportunity to develop skills in the workplace. A Master's degree can be demanding, so perhaps look for a job that allows you to be flexible.

For example, at UEA we employ lots of students on zero-hour contracts as Student Ambassadors, shop workers and bar staff.

If you’re an international student, you are only allowed to work a maximum of 20 hours a week during term time. You may work more hours outside term time and as part of agreed work placements or internships. It is important that you do not exceed these limits, as they form part of your Student Route visa. You will need to apply for a National Insurance number once you arrive in the UK, to be eligible to work here.

If you are unsure about whether you should be working you should speak to your Adviser and/or visit CareerCentral and discuss it with a Careers Adviser. Some postgraduate course may also have opportunities to gain experience working with employers on real-life projects as part of the course.

If you are already working and considering a Master's, it may be worth speaking to your own employer and the University before applying as you can discuss your study and work commitments, timetables, working hours and make an informed decision.

Not all Master's courses involve Dissertation or Research papers. For example, our Academic Training Business courses (conversion courses) have taught modules which are designed to help students who are going into the workplace, instead of a dissertation.

You should be able to change to part-time, in order to do this you would need to speak to the relevant Hub to make sure this can be facilitated.

We have lots of information to help you understand visa requirements and assist you with your application.

There is a wide range of support available to international students at UEA.

Student Services have a dedicated team to help support international students, and can help with:

  • Personal/welfare advice – such as settling into life in the UK, or preparing to return home

  • General advice – such as opening a UK bank account or academic procedures, for example

  • Visa and immigration advice – such as applying for/extending a Tier 4 visa, or help with any general visa and immigration enquiries

Find out more about the specific support offered to international students on our International student support page.

Student Services also provide wellbeing and mental health support, study support (including an English Language Support Programme), support with living on and off campus, finances and support for students with disabilities. You’ll also have 24/7 support from Health Assured, a programme which can help you with any personal or professional issues that may be affecting you.

We also have answers to Frequently Asked Questions about Postgraduate Scholarships and Loans.

Find out about
Postgraduate Scholarships and Loans


If you can’t find the answer you’re looking for, please contact our Admissions Teams at admissions@uea.ac.uk.