All students are expected to ensure that they have sufficient funds (including Loans) to cover essential living costs before starting their course but we recognise that circumstances may change and that things may prove more expensive than anticipated.

Students who find themselves in financial difficulty during their time at UEA can apply for financial support through the Student Services Fund. The Student Services Fund application form is accessible here. Applications are assessed on a rolling basis throughout the year, with the exception of final year students, who must submit their application by 1st June 2022.

Awards are discretionary and non-repayable. Please be advised that the Student Services Fund is unable to assist with the cost of tuition fees

Student Services Fund

The Student Services Fund is administered by the Student Life Finance Team and all students who are studying full-time or at least 50% of full-time are eligible to apply, including both Home and International students and undergraduate and postgraduate students.

The Student Services Fund is intended to assist students who may find themselves in financial difficulty during their time at UEA, and are struggling to meet basic living costs or are faced with large unexpected costs. Students are expected to have made realistic plans to fund their period of study at UEA and the Student Services Fund should not be considered as a main source of income.

If you have any questions relating to the Student Services Fund, please contact the Student Life (Finance) Advisors at . If you would like to book an appointment with one of the Student Life (Finance) Advisors, please email with your availability over the next five working days and what you wish to discuss during the appointment.

For more information on the support available through the Student Life Finance Team and to apply for financial support, please visit our Student Services Fund page.

Disabled students allowance (DSA)

If you are a student with a disability or other long term health condition, such as a mental health condition, a specific learning difficulty such as dyspraxia or dyslexia, or a chronic physical condition, the DSA can help you pay for extra costs you incur as a direct result.

A DSA can also assist with other forms of support to help you during your studies. That might include a note taker, a sign language interpreter, specialist equipment or other study-related costs.

To find out whether you are eligible, you’ll need to send proof of your disability to Student Finance England. You’ll need to get a letter from your specialist of GP confirming the diagnosis of the condition, what your learning difficulty is and how long you’ve been affected by it. With dyslexia and dyspraxia, you’ll also need to send a full diagnostic assessment report which must have been carried out after you turn 16.

How do I apply?

You can apply for the DSA when the general student finance application service opens (usually open in February and closing in May each year). The earlier you apply, the better chance all the services and/or equipment will be in place ready for the start of your course.


Travel Grants

If you’re attending a clinical placement in the UK or studying abroad as part of your course, this grant can help with travel costs and reasonable travel expenses during the academic year. You may have to cover the first £303 of your travel costs yourself but, depending on your household income, you can claim back anything you have to spend over this amount.