As a UEA postgraduate student, you’ll be joining an institution that offers students an inspiring and engaging research environment to thrive in.
Our relationships with our partner institutes as part of the internationally renowned Norwich Research Park also gives students a whole breadth of research they can get involved in including food, health and environment.
To take a look at the full list of research areas that UEA offers, choose an option below.
Arts and Humanities
- American history
- American literature
- Area Studies
- Environment, space and place
- Histories of power and protest
- Popular and avant-garde cultures
- Transatlantic and transpacific studies
Find out more on the American Studies web pages.
- Art and post-colonial studies
- Material Culture, Anthropology and Archaeology
- Medieval art and architecture
- Modern and contemporary art
- Museums, heritage and archives
Find out more on the Art web pages.
Film, Television and Media Studies
- British film and TV
- Genre in film and TV
- Media audiences
- Mediations of gender and sexuality
- Popular culture
Find out more on the Film, Television and Media web pages.
- British history
- European history (in particular France, Italy, Germany, Russia, the Balkans and Central Europe)
- Global history
- History of South-Asian, Japanese and Indian history
- History of the Atlantic world(s)
- History of the Middle East
- Imperial history and cultural diplomatic history
- Intellectual history and the history of political thought
- Landscape and environmental history
- Local and regional history
- Medieval history
Find out more on the History web pages.
Language and Communication Studies
- (Critical) discourse analysis
- Cross-cultural cognitive linguistics
- Intercultural communication
- Theoretical and applied pragmatics
- Translation and interpreting
Find out more on the Language and Communications Studies web pages.
Literature, Drama and Creative Writing
- Creative writing
- Life writing and creative non-fiction
- Literary translation and translation theory
- Medieval and early modern writing
- Modern and contemporary literature, including poetry
Find out more on the Literature, Drama and Creative Writing web pages.
- Application and interpretations of Wittgenstein
- Environmental philosophy
- Experimental philosophy
- Phenomenology and Existentialism
- Philosophy of language
- Philosophy of science
Find out more on the Philosophy web pages.
- Critical global politics and international relations
- Cultural politics, political communication, and media
- Politics, public policy and political theory
Find out more on the Politics web pages.
Medicine and Health Sciences
- Clinical health psychology across the lifespan
- Clinical psychology of childhood and adolescence
- Cognitive, emotional and social consequences of stroke and brain injury
- Psychological distress and disorders in adult populations
- Psychology of childhood and adolescence
Find out more on the Clinical Psychology webpages.
- Acquired brain injury recovery
- Behavioural and implementation science
- Care in later life
- Communication and cognition
- Diagnostic testing
- Management of neurodegenerative conditions
- Musculoskeletal rehabilitation
- Sleep and brain health
- Supportive, palliative and end of life care
- Workforce wellbeing
Find out more on the Health Sciences webpages.
- Cancer studies
- Cardiovascular and metabolic health
- Clinical trials
- Epidemiology, public health and preventative medicine
- Gastroenterology and gut biology
- Health economics
- Health services research and primary care
- Mental health, including dementia
- Microbiology, infection and immunity
- Musculoskeletal medicine
Find out more on the Norwich Medical School webpages.
- Cells and tissues: biomedicine, cancer biology, cardiovascular biology, molecular genetics, musculoskeletal biology, molecular pharmacology, developmental and stem cell biology
- Molecular microbiology: biochemistry, physiology, ecology, cell and developmental biology, elemental cycle, environmental microbiology, discovery of novel antimicrobial agents
- Organisms and the environment: biodiversity, conservation, behavioural ecology, evolutionary ecology, evolutionary biology, macroecology, molecular ecology, population biology
- Plant sciences: plant RNA biology
- Synthetic biology of plants and microbes
Find out more on the Biological Sciences webpages.
- Chemistry of Materials and Catalysis: Organic and inorganic synthesis; organic mechanisms; medicinal chemistry; novel catalyst development; chemical analysis; organometallics and coordination complexes; liquid crystals, supramolecular assemblies; nanomaterials; Polymer synthesis and characterisation; microplastics.
- Chemistry of Light and Energy: Theory of light matter interactions; lasers and optical spectroscopy; photobiology; light harvesting; light emitting diodes; photochemistry; molecular dynamics; energy conversion materials; colorimetric nanosensors.
- Chemistry of Life Processes: biophysical chemistry; metalloproteins; protein structure and dynamics; theoretical simulation; protein engineering and genetic programming; nitrogen cycle enzymes; extracellular electron transfer mechanisms; membrane transporters; protein-protein interactions; nanoscience for drug delivery and intercellular sensing
Find out more on the Chemistry webpages.
- Actuarial Sciences
- Colour and Vision
- Computational biology and bioinformatics
- Cyber security
- Data analytics for improved decision making
- Data mining and knowledge discovery
- Internet of things and edge computing
- Machine learning, statistics and data science
- Speech and Audio
- Telecommunications and connected society
Find out more on the Computing Sciences webpages.
- Functional materials
- Graphene and nanostructured materials
- Multiscale fluid mechanics and heat transfer
- Optical fibre sensors based on nanostructured coatings
- Optimization driven design and computational mechanics
- Solar Energy and photovoltaics
Find out more on the Engineering webpages.
- Climate research and climate change
- Ecology and environmental biology
- Environmental economics and ecosystem services
- Geosciences and natural hazards
- Human and physical geography of the environment
- Ocean and atmospheric sciences
- Science, society and sustainability
Find out more on the Environmental Sciences webpages.
- Algebra and combinatorics
- Biological and industrial mathematics
- Environmental mathematics
- Fluid and solid mechanics
- Mathematical physics
- Quantum fluids
Find out more on the Mathematics webpages.
- Nutrition, inflammation and age-related diseases
- Cancer research
- Drug formulation and delivery
- Improving pharmacy practice
- Medicinal chemistry and chemical biology
- Natural product discovery and synthesis
- NMR spectroscopy
- Patient adherence to medication
- Pharmaceutical characterisation
- Cell and molecular biology
- Soft matter
Find out more on the Pharmacy webpages.
- Matter, Light and Quantum Theories: Non-linear and quantum optics; quantum fluids; Bose-Einstein condensates; topological defects and phenomena.
- Astrophysics, Planetary Systems and The Environment: relativistic astrophysics; neutron stars; molecular astrophysics; magnetohydrodynamics; terrestrial and planetary geophysics; geophysical fluids; oceanography; meteorology; planetary atmospheres; seismology; geodesy.
- Chemical, Biological and Materials Physics: Photophysics and laser spectroscopy; biophysics; excited state dynamics; photoswitchable molecules.
Find out more on the Physics webpages.
Biological Sciences and Medicine: Norwich Bioscience Institutes
John Innes Centre, the Quadram Institute Bioscience (formerly the Institute of Food Research), the Earlham Institute and The Sainsbury Laboratory cover the following themes:
- Evolutionary biology and population genomics
- Food, nutrition and health
- Food safety: microbes in the food chain and food authenticity
- Genomics, computational and systems biology
- Guts: biology, health, microbiome
- Molecular microbiology and metagenomics of complex microbial communities
- Plant and crop growth, development and yield
- Plant and microbial metabolism and biological chemistry
- Plant bioactives and foods for health
- Plant pathogens and innate immunity
- Synthetic biology and biotechnology
Find out more on the Norwich Bioscience Institutes webpages.
Business and Management
- Accounting, auditing, performance management and big data, integrated and sustainability reporting
- Business regulation
- Corporate social responsibility
- Entrepreneurship and strategy
- Finance, corporate governance, and banking and investment
- Green Economy
- Human resource management, and organisational psychology and behaviour
- International business
- Marketing, consumer behaviour, and international business
- Operations, supply chain management, and innovation
- Organisational change, employee wellbeing, diversity and inclusion, and social value.
- Technology management, information systems, and social media
Find out more on the Norwich Business School webpages.
- Big data methods
- Collective decision making and group formation
- Competition in digital markets
- Development and environmental economics
- Dynamic macroeconomics
- Economics of networks
- Empirical evaluation of competition/competition policy
- Financial economics and econometrics
- Heuristics and biases in decision making
- Industrial organisation
- Origins and consequences of conflict
- Strategic reasoning and identity in groups and teams
Find out more on the Economics webpages.
Education and Lifelong Learning
- International education and social change: adult literacy and learning; higher education; globalisation and policy
- Lifelong learning cultures: youth and identities, digital cultures and public pedagogies
- Pedagogy, curriculum and professional learning: Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), English for Academic Purposes (EAP), language education, corpus linguistics; mathematics education; teaching and learning in English education; sports, physical education and well-being
Find out more on the Education and Lifelong Learning webpages.
- Agriculture, nutrition and health
- Behavioural and experimental economics
- Climate change, adaptation and disaster risk management
- Development aid and practice
- Education, childhood and youth
- Environmental justice/indigenous rights
- Gender and inequality
- Impact evaluation
- Media and humanitarian communication
- The state, governance and conflict
- Water security
Find out more on the International Development webpages.
- Company and commercial law including dispute resolution/arbitration, and international commercial litigation, insurance and carriage of goods, and business & human rights
- Competition law, and law & economics
- Criminal law (including international criminal law), policing and criminal justice
- EU law and Brexit/secession and devolution
- Gender inequality and caring responsibilities
- International and comparative law including international economic law (WTO law & investment law), and sustainable development/international environmental law
- Jurisprudence and legal theory
- Media, intellectual property (IP), information technology (IT), and data protection law
- Medical law
- Private law: contract, tort, property law and land use
- Public law, human rights, and public protest
- Refugee law and displacement
Find out more on the Law webpages.
- Cognitive neuroscience
- Developmental science
- Social psychology
Find out more on the Psychology webpages.
- Child protection
- Children and families in adoption
- Children in care
- Social work decision making
- Social work with people with mental health problems
- Support for vulnerable families
- Young people and crime
Find out more on the Social Work webpages.