PPL Brussels Internships ProgrammeA month-long placement as a Policy Officer at the East of England Brussels Office working alongside policy officers, meeting Members of the European Parliament and their staff, as well from the European Commission, third sector, and representatives from the East of England. We have established a UEA Brussels Office to work with East of England Regional Office staff, and our interns help to run UEA Brussels, assist with research, and promote awareness of UEA and the School at the European level.
Teaching ExperienceStudents of French and Spanish honours going on a year abroad can apply to go on a British Council placement, to teach English in primary or secondary schools in Spain, France or Belgium. We also enable two final year students of French to spend a year teaching English either in Nice Sofia Antipolis University, or Lorraine University (Nancy) after they graduate.
Internships and Volunteering during the year abroad
More and more students elect to do an internship on their year abroad. The School has a number of links with organisations in relevant countries that have hosted PPL interns in the past, such as:
- Fundación Vivo Sano (Health Defence Organisation in Madrid), http://www.vivosano.org/, Communication, translation and policy work.
- Excellencia (language study holiday centre near Paris), http://www.excellencia.fr/fr, Administrative, camp-assisting and language teaching work.
- CEN (European Committee for Standardization in Brussels), http://www.cencenelec.eu/Pages/default.aspx, Editor work.
- Nanumea Export (company representing food and beverage products internationally, in Zaragoza), http://www.nanumea.es/en/.
Campus/locally-based jobs, internships and volunteering
- BBC Voices Work-placements: these practical media internships are part of our MA in Broadcast Journalism, and involve about 50 students a year, who receive coaching and produce video content for BBC Voices. Other practical media placements have included the Future Radio, Radio Norwich, Archant and EPIC.
- British Red Cross Placements: PPL has established a partnership with the local branch of the Red Cross for four students to go on volunteering placements in the Refugee Support Office, and other departments.
- Internship at UEA’s Study Abroad Office: working as part of the incoming students’ team.
- Outreach Advocate roles: giving 5 PhD students the opportunity to gain teaching experience with young people as well as event management and coordination.
- Language Ambassador Roles: 40 paid positions for students who speak at least two languages, helping to promote languages and support language-based events with young people and teachers.
- MyCareerCentral Database: UEA’s internship team works hard to provide students with a variety of exciting jobs, internships and volunteering opportunities advertised on a very user-friendly platform. PPL students are regularly sent updates on relevant opportunities. For more information, go on UEA's Internship page.
PPL also encourages and facilitates local volunteering which gives students experience directly related to their course. In the past, Language and Communication students have for example set up an ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) practice group in collaboration with Norfolk County Council. Producing content for Future Radio (a local community radio) is another activity some of our students have undertaken in the past, creating mini Japanese, French and Spanish lessons, or political programmes on the 2015 election.