FAQs regarding Academic Clinical Fellows in General Practice FAQs regarding Academic Clinical Fellows in General Practice

The following section addresses some frequently asked questions specifically relevant to Academic Clinical Fellows in General Practice.

How do I apply for a Academic Clinical Fellowship in General Practice?

The NIHR funds Academic Clinical Fellowships at entry level (ST1) specialist training for who can demonstrate a potential for development as a clinical academic.  Details of the ACF programme in Norwich can be found on our website, and details of the application process can be found on the GP National Recruitment website.

What study leave am I entitled to?

GP ACFs are entitled to the same study leave as other GP trainees. The deanery gives GPSTs an entitlement of 30 days study leave each year when approved by their trainer/ supervisor, as outlined in this document.

If extra time is needed for academic work earlier on in the scheme, trainees have previously been able to negotiate with their practice to pay back this time at a later date for clinical work.

What about the ePortfolio and WBPAs when I'm doing academic work?

To ensure the RCGP knows you are an academic trainee you need to contact them to ask for your training number to reflect this at membership@rcgp.org.uk. You should continue to update your ePortfolio to reflect the academic work that you are doing. You are also expected to complete a proportional amount of WBPAs during your academic time to evidence your academic competencies. Please refer to The Annual Review of Competency Progress for Academic GP Speciality Registrars document. So for example if you are doing a split of 50% academic half of your WPBAs will be academic and half clinical. Your clinical trainer should be aware that you are working less than full time in clinical medicine but will expect you to complete the full quota of clinical WPBA's over the rest of your training.

How is my salary calculated?

The GP practice you are attached to will pay your salary when you have academic placements. The GP practice submits an appointment form to the deanery with a copy of your recent payslip. The basic pensionable salary as shown on the wage slip is continued (unless there is a reduction in total working hours in the new post, the salary would be pro rata to the basic). On top of the basic salary would be the 45% supplement non-pensionable salary while working in academia. This is the same as during general practice. The increment date as shown on the wage slip would still apply and continue.

Do I have to do additional Out of Hours Sessions during my additional year?

Despite doing an extra year academic trainees are only expected to do the same amount of OOH as a normal trainee. You may be able to do this during your academic placements if you are doing them alongside general practice. Out of hours experience needs to be done while attached to a practice for appropriate supervision and when you have adequate indemnity cover for the work.