Opportunities to study in Spain and Latin America Opportunities to study in Spain and Latin America

Your entry level, the degree programme and Honours language(s) you study will determine how you spend your Year Abroad.

  • If Spanish is your single Honours language, you must spend a minimum of 30 weeks in a Spanish-speaking country between your second and final year. If you are a double honours student and are taking French and Spanish from A-Level, you will normally split the year between two countries where those languages are spoken.
  • If you are a double honours student taking one of your degree languages from below A level, you will normally spend your entire year in the country of the weaker language. It is strongly recommended that students follow at least some modules in the stronger language in their university placement and/or spend the summer working or studying in the country of the other language. We can provide support and advice on this. 

Working as a Teaching Assistant

'I have learnt an incredible amount, not just in terms of linguistic improvement but with regard to the education system and how good students of all different ages are at retaining and expressing what they have been taught. Every day I felt like I was achieving a great deal and making the most of my year abroad as I was always overcoming different challenges.... Being part of the teachers' "huddle" during coffee breaks was one of the best parts when I felt a real member of staff and I would recommend an assistantship to anyone who is thinking of becoming a teacher.'
Zoe Robinson, Translation, Media and Modern Language
Teaching assistants are appointed through the British Council. The British Council looks for an interest in and a commitment to teaching.
For further details of how to apply and full terms and conditions of being a English language assistant abroad please see the British Council Website.

Studying at a Spanish University

We maintain strong relationships with universities across Spain and Latin America. For a list of universities, visit https://www.uea.ac.uk/lcs/study-abroad.

Studying at a university in Latin America

You can study in Mexico at one of two exchange universities: Universidad de las Americas (UDLA) in Puebla and Universidad de Guadalajara (UDG). The academic year in Mexico begins in mid-August.

We also have an exchange agreement with the Universidad de Concepción in Chile.

If you would like to investigate studying at another university in Latin America, we are happy to help you explore this in more detail. 

Work placements in Spanish-speaking countries

You may prefer to find a work placement and many students regard this as a highly worthwhile way of spending time abroad. You should bear in mind that Spain is a country of high unemployment and it may not be easy to find paid work. Work placements must be approved by us before any contracts are signed. If your work placement is in Europe, you should also receive an Erasmus grant and may be eligible for a tuition fee waiver (reviewed annually)  

We have links with a number of high-quality NGOs in Latin America where our students have enjoyed the opportunity to engage in rewarding and enriching voluntary work. In particular, we have built a strong link with SKIP in Peru.