On the PGCE Primary course, you will learn to teach in the 3–7 or 5–11 years age range. It will help you become an inspirational and confident teacher who can motivate children and manage a class effectively, ready to teach all curriculum subjects across the primary age range.
The programme runs for 38 weeks and includes 120 days of school experience in partnership schools, spread across all three terms. You will gain experience from two main school placements and teach primarily in two age bands within your chosen age range specialism.
The aim is for you to become a confident and highly reflective Newly Qualified Teacher. As well as meeting the Teachers’ Standards, you will be able to demonstrate that you can:
- Understand, value and build upon the rich variety of backgrounds and experience that children bring to school
- Teach effectively in your chosen age range, structuring pupils’ classroom experiences to promote effective and coherent learning, enabling children to make good progress over time
- Organise classes of children effectively for activities across the curriculum
- Manage pupils’ behaviour effectively and maintain a purposeful atmosphere in the classroom
- Reflect on your teaching in order to identify and analyse strengths and areas for development, taking appropriate action as necessary and improving your practice through a process of continuous self-evaluation.