- Hand outline segmentation
- Hand outline verification
- Bone segmentation
- Feature extraction
- Bone segmentation verification
Hand Outline Verification
An incorrect outline can be caused by many different potential problems e.g. a foreign object overlapping the hand or a problem with the outlining algorithm. Since our primary goal is to create a fully automated method for bone age assessment, we need a way to verify if the outline is correct. In  and  we investigated the use of a large set of different classifiers on different representations of hand outlines using:
- Principal Component Transforms;
- Fast Fourier Transform; and
- Feature Extraction (No of Tips, No of Webs etc.).
The Random Forest classifier trained on principal components performed best, with an accuracy of ~95%.