UEA is proud to be among a global network of distinguished organisations chosen as official nominators of The Earthshot Prize 2023. We will be nominating individuals, communities, businesses and organisations whose solutions make the most progress towards achieving the five Earthshots.
Being a Nominator for The Earthshot Prize is recognition of our leadership in the environmental space and contribution to the shared goal to repair the planet. If you have a ready-made solution to an environmental issue, read below to find out how you can share it with us.
Solving the Earth’s greatest problems together
Five, one million-pound prizes are awarded each year of the Earthshot Prize. The five annual winners will be those whose Solutions make the most progress towards five ‘Earthshots’ – simple but ambitious goals for our planet which if achieved by 2030 will improve life for us all, for generations to come. Each Earthshot is underpinned by scientifically agreed targets including the UN Sustainable Development Goals and other internationally recognised measures.
Nominations for The Earthshot Prize should fit within at least one of the five Earthshots and within one of the 15 priority areas or should represent an outstanding wildcard.
Five Earthshots - 15 Priority Areas
- Efforts to protect and manage natural carbon stores such as peatlands and intact forests
- Efforts to restore forests, wetlands, and other damaged ecosystems
- Efforts to develop and scale regenerative agriculture
- Engaging citizens in data collection and advocacy
- Efforts to stop burning in agriculture and forests
- Transitioning to clean personal transportation
- Reducing overfishing
- Developing ocean ecosystem services that mitigate climate change: “Blue Carbon”
- Climate change solutions with oceans benefits
- Waste-free food, including efforts to shift to a plant-based diet
- Waste-free fashion
- Circular solutions: extending the life of goods and/or eliminating single-use goods
- Renewable energy for all
- Reducing methane emissions
- Constructing buildings fit for the future
Other solutions which fit well within the remit of at least one Earthshot, even if they do not match a specific priority area
Wildcards are magical, game-changing, boundary-pushing ideas that you just know are right when you see them. If it doesn’t fit one of the categories above, perhaps the frame is wrong. Don’t hesitate to nominate that disruptive genius one-in- a-million idea even when it doesn’t align neatly with 1 of our 15 priority areas or our Earthshots.
2023 Selection Criteria
The potential solution should be well beyond the idea stage but may still have development requirements that must be addressed before they are ready to scale their impact. The nominee will:
- Have working prototypes, programs and initiatives, or executed pilots that demonstrate the effectiveness of their solution.
- Have tested their solution with the target users or recipients and have seen early positive impacts or successes.
- May already be in the market with customers, partners or audiences but on a limited scale.
The Earthshot Prize are additionally looking for solutions which:
- Use Web3 and other technologies to enable transformative change.
- Leverage new financial and legal mechanisms to create scalable incentives for global change.
- Are led and informed by indigenous people and local communities
- Promote shared economic opportunity.
More information on this year's selection priorities is available in The Earthshot Prize Selection Priorities 2023 document.
UEA Call for Solutions
Open to Proposals from Monday 12 December 2022
UEA Call Deadline
23.59 GMT Wednesday 18 January 2023
Please find our Earthshot Solution submission form below. If you are completing the form on behalf of another person or organisation, please advise them that you are sharing their details with UEA. This is important to comply with appropriate GDPR and data sharing obligations.
A cross-sector panel led by Professor Konstantinos Chalvatzis, ClimateUEA Academic Chair, will meet in the week of 23 January 2023 to sift the solutions and decide which best meet the criteria to win an Earthshot Prize. Should we wish to submit your nomination to The Earthshot Prize, we will be in contact.
Those who have not received a response from the ClimateUEA team by Tuesday 31 January, should assume UEA will not be nominating their solution on this occasion.
This document outlines the information required to submit a nomination for the Earthshot Prize 2023. Please use this to gather information on your Solution. Please note ClimateUEA will only accept applications which have been submitted via our electronic form by the stated deadline.
The ClimateUEA open call for 2023 Earthshot Prize nominations has now closed. We will open to nominations for the 2024 round in November 2023
Submitted Nominations and Nomination Forms are confidential. The screening process and judging panel reviewing Nominations and Nomination Forms are bound by strict confidentiality terms. Nomination ideas and any associated intellectual property used in connection with any Nomination shall remain the property of the party introducing the same. Nothing contained in the Nomination shall constitute the grant of any licence or rights of ownership or any other rights in respect of the intellectual property and confidential information other than for the purpose of submitting and Earthshot Nomination.