This page is aimed at staff joining the University primarily from outside the United Kingdom, but may be useful for staff relocating from within the United  Kingdom, temporary workers and long-term visitors also. Information and links on a range of topics have been provided to help support you in your move to Norwich. We hope you find this useful.


After receiving your offer of appointment, you must ensure you have the correct permissions to live and work in the UK. Once arranged, you can begin to prepare for your arrival.

Getting permission to live and work in the UK

Your job offer will be conditional on you providing documents to evidence your right to work in the UK. A right to work check is usually undertaken during the recruitment process at interview or offer stage. If you require a work visa, the Staff Immigration and Compliance Team will guide you through the visa process and undertake a right to work check once your visa is granted.


How to prove your right to work

Initial funds

You will not be able to open a UK bank account until you have arrived in the UK. If you plan to use your current cash or credit card to withdraw cash from ATMs in the UK, make sure you know how much your bank will charge you for this service.


Alternatively, you may choose to bring British Pounds (sterling) or travellers’ cheques with you. Please bear in mind the high commission fees charged by the bureau de change at airports and railway stations.


Salaries are paid in arrears so you will not receive any salary payments until the end of the month in which you begin employment (and sometimes longer, depending on your start date). Before you get your first salary payment from the University, you will need to have enough money to pay for your transport, short-term accommodation, food and personal expenses.


Relocation expenses

Any entitlement to relocation expenses will be detailed in your offer letter. If you have any questions about relocation expenses please contact


Short term accommodation

It is strongly recommended that you arrange short-term accommodation in advance of your arrival in Norwich. Arranging accommodation for the first 4 – 8 weeks will help to minimise the stress of your relocation. You can then use the first few months to get to know the city before committing to a longer term rental.


Whilst the University cannot offer on-campus staff accommodation, the UEA accommodation office runs a Homestay scheme which offers guest rooms in approved local homes close to the campus and can be booked on a flexible basis from 2 weeks to a year. For further information and to enquire about availability please contact Gillian Savage, Homestay Co-ordinator at


Norwich has a wide variety of hotels, bed and breakfasts, cottages and other accommodation to suit all needs and all tastes. There are a number of hotels and Bed & Breakfasts close to the University. For more information about accommodation in Norwich view the Visit Norwich website. The University also hosts its own bed and breakfast style accommodation on campus at Broadview Lodge.


Visit Norwich Website

Broadview Lodge


Getting to Norwich

Norwich is easily accessible by road, rail, bus and coach, and is particularly well served by Norwich International Airport. 


By Bus and Coach

National Express coaches run from all major airports and cities in Great Britain to Surrey Street Bus Station in the city centre and even to campus! Norwich city buses 25 and 26 and run regularly from Castle Meadow and Red Lion Street close to the Bus Station in Norwich city centre to the university campus. Bus and coach enquiries (Traveline):  (+44)  (0)8712 002233 or National Express enquiries: (+44) (0)8717 818181.


National Express Coaches

Norwich City Buses


By Train

Norwich is less than two hours from London by train and there are InterCity rail links with the Midlands, the North of England and Scotland via Peterborough. Greater Anglia trains run from London Liverpool Street Station approximately every half hour. Note that discount tickets are often available if purchased before the day of travel and can be significantly cheaper - but will only be posted to UK addresses - see the Raileasy website below for more information. The easiest way to reach UEA from the station is by taxi, which costs approximately £10 and takes around 15 minutes. There are also regular Norwich city buses direct to the University from the station forecourt (numbers 25 or 26). For rail enquiries call (+44) (0)8457 484950.

Greater Anglia Trains

London Liverpool Street Station



By Car

From London take the M11/A11 north. Just outside Norwich take the A47 (Southern Bypass) in the direction of Swaffham - the University is signposted off at the next exit (B1108). If you are driving from the North or the Midlands, you can use the A47 via King's Lynn, or the new A14 as far as Newmarket and then take the A11 to Norwich. UEA is situated on the outskirts of Norwich, around two and a half miles west of the city centre, just off the Earlham Road (B1108), which is one of the main roads out of the city.


By Air

Norwich Airport has regular flights to and from Aberdeen, Amsterdam, Edinburgh, Manchester and Paris and international connections to 200 cities worldwide through regular direct flights to and from Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam (KLM, Northwest, Air France). The campus is within easy reach from the airport by taxi, taking only 10-15 minutes.

For flights arriving at London airports (Gatwick, Heathrow and Stansted), we recommend coming to Norwich by National Express coaches or by train.


Norwich Airport


When you have arrived in Norwich and moved into your temporary accommodation there are a few things you will need to do. As a priority, where applicable, you will need to collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card, open a UK bank account and apply for a National Insurance number (if this is not stated on your BRP).


Collecting your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card

Some individuals on a visa will need to collect a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card after arriving in the UK. As part of your visa application, you will have selected a post office to collect your BRP card from once you arrive in the UK. You must ensure you collect this before your entry visa vignette expires (sticker in your passport). You will need to email copies of your BRP card to


BRP cards are slowly being phased out and are expected to be discontinued completely from 01/01/2025, please refer to your online immigration status for your visa end date, rather than looking at your BRP card.


Opening a UK bank account

If you do not have a UK bank account you will need to open one before you can receive your salary from the University. If you wish to open an account with a traditional high street bank, please contact and ask for a bank letter to be provided. You can take the letter to the relevant bank, different banks will offer slightly different terms and conditions, to help you open an account along with:

  • Proof of identity (passport);
  • Evidence of your previous address overseas (driving licence / utility bills);
  • Evidence of your UK address;
  • Proof of employment.


Alternatively, it is quicker and easier to open an account with an app-based bank such as Monzo or Revolut. You will not need a bank letter from HR to open an account with these banks.





When you open a bank account you will receive a debit card with which you can withdraw money from an ATM owned by your bank or other banks at no extra charge. You can also use it to pay at most shops by using contactless or your PIN (personal identification number). If you lose your card or you think it may have been stolen contact your bank immediately. There are several ATMs on campus and most shops and restaurants on campus accept card payments.


The major UK Banks all have branches in Norwich City Centre.


When you move house you must notify the bank of the change of address. It can take them a couple of days to update their records so it is advisable to do it before you move. Some banks have different services for cash and credit cards in which case you will have to inform both of them about your change of address. Please be aware high street banks are unlikely to open an account for individuals who are on contracts for under six months. In such cases opening an account with an app-based bank is usually the solution, or payments can be made into a foreign bank account as a last resort, charges may apply. You will need to ensure you can access this account from the UK.


Getting a National Insurance number

In the UK, National Insurance is a compulsory deduction from your pay that funds the state-provided pensions, health and other government benefits. As an employee, you will need to have a National Insurance (NI) number so that the UK tax authority can record your income tax payments and National Insurance Contributions. You should apply for an NI number as soon as you arrive in the UK and begin work at the University.


As part of the Visa and Immigration application process, NI numbers are being assigned on the back of BRP cards. Check you have not already been assigned an NI number before you apply for one.


National Insurance (NI)

How to apply for a NI number


This section will provide you with useful information to help you get settled in your surroundings.


Finding long-term accommodation

Most rental agencies will require you to sign a 6 month contract, so it is important to make sure you are happy with the location before you commit to a property. Norwich is a well-connected city with bus and cycle routes, making it easy to commute to the University from the city centre and surrounding towns and villages.


It is suggested that you read up on the different areas of Norwich and Norfolk and speak to colleagues to get their recommendations on where to live. 


Information on life in Norwich and Norfolk


If you have children, bear in mind that the choice of school varies on your catchment area. Most properties are advertised one month before they become available. The rental market in Norfolk tends to move quite quickly, so it is a good idea to visit letting agencies in the city to register your details, then agencies can contact you as soon as something suitable comes on the market.


You should keep a close eye on websites such as Rightmove and Zoopla. These websites are an easy way to browse properties from all the different agencies in Norwich.





Moving into rented accommodation

Moving into a property can be expensive so plan accordingly for this initial outlay. After deciding which property you want to move into, you will have to pay a booking fee which will keep the property off the market while the agency takes up references. This fee may be offset against your first rental payment if your references are satisfactory.


The majority of rental agreements will not include provision for your utilities: gas, water and electricity. You will need to manage and pay for these separately. The Landlord or letting agency should be able to tell you which provider(s) the previous tenant used.


On the day you move in take meter readings, as you do not want to be held accountable for any usage before you moved in. Ring the gas and electricity companies and give them the meter readings.


The University does not have a list of approved movers so you are free to use whichever company is most convenient for you. Contact removal firms early on in your relocation to get a sense of how long the process will take. If you are intending to claim for the costs as part of your relocation expenses, please ensure that you get three quotes and choose the cheapest.


The cost of moving your possessions will vary greatly depending on the method of shipment, distance, quantity and weight. It is worth shopping around to get the deal that is best for you. You can get quotes from any of the movers’ websites or from price comparison sites. Many removal companies will also offer storage solutions as part of their services.


Once you have moved into long-term accommodation you will need to set up your utilities and council tax, you may also want to look into getting contents insurance to cover your belongings.


Telephone and broadband

You may need to set up a landline, especially if you wish to have broadband internet access. Some properties will already have a line connecting the house to the network but it may take time for the telephone company to reconnect it.


Many companies offer packages for both landline calls and internet access and this can include handsets and routers. The best idea is to shop around to see what companies are offering.


It can take anywhere from two weeks to a month to be fully connected. The availability of broadband suppliers is dependent on where you live (small villages may have a very limited choice). Comparison websites can help you find the best deals available in your area. 


TV licence

If you watch or record live TV then you have to pay for a TV licence (currently £159 a year). You can buy it online and pay for it in one lump sum or in instalments.


Buying a TV Licence online


Council tax

Council Tax applies to all domestic properties including houses, bungalows, flats, maisonettes, mobile homes and houseboats, whether they are owned or rented.


The amount of Council Tax you pay will depend on the ‘valuation band’ of the property you live in. You can find out what band your property is on via the government website.


The Council Tax charges are reviewed every year and those currently applying in Norfolk can be found below on the South Norfolk District Council website.


South Norfolk District Council website



It is a good idea to insure your belongings against loss, theft, accidental damage and fire. In some rental agreements it is a written condition that you must have content insurance, so check your contract carefully to see if this is the case.


Price comparison websites allow you to shop around and find the best deal for your circumstances.



To drive in the UK you must have a valid driving licence and insurance. You should also familiarise yourself with the Highway Code and UK driving regulations.


If you have a non-UK driving licence, you should use the online tool below to check whether you can drive in the UK. You may need to exchange your non-UK driving licence for a British licence, further information on this can be found below.


Online checking tool for driving in the UK

How to exchange a non-UK driving licence


Hiring or buying a car

If you do not own a car, you can hire a car from a number of car rental agencies. If you want to buy a new or second hand car in the UK there a few key things to remember: you need to have insurance (driving without it is illegal in the UK), you must pay vehicle tax and for every car that is more than 3 years old you need to have an annual MOT test.


Child car seat safety law

Children must normally use a child car seat until they are 12 years old or 135cm tall, whichever comes first. Children over 12 or more than 135cm tall must wear a seat belt. 


Further information about child car seats


Registering with a GP and dentist

It would be worthwhile registering with a doctor/General Practitioner (GP) and a dentist after familiarising yourself with your local healthcare provisions.


Like schools, GP surgeries have catchment areas, so you will have to check whether the street where you live or will live falls into their catchment area. You can do that on the NHS website below. Once you have chosen a surgery, contact them and ask to register with them. You will have to complete a registration form and give your details. The surgery may also ask to see ID and proof of your address.


NHS website


The purpose-built campus Medical Centre provides a full range of medical services.


UEA Medical Centre


You can find a list of NHS Dentists below. If you would prefer to register with a dentist as a private (non NHS) patient look online for a practice convenient for you and contact them directly to enquire.


Find an NHS Dentist


Emergency healthcare treatment

If you require immediate treatment due to a serious injury or illness, Accident & Emergency is located at the Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital on Colney Lane, close to the University campus.


The Accident and Emergency department (A&E), sometimes called Casualty or the Emergency Room, has its own dedicated entrance located in the East block on Level 2. The department is open all year round, 24 hours day. It is not appropriate to go to Accident and Emergency as an alternative to your GP. You could visit your local NHS Direct Walk in Centre instead.


Norwich’s NHS Walk In Centre is based in the City Centre on Rouen Road and is open 7am to 9pm, 7 days a week. It can be accessed, without charge, by anyone entitled to NHS Services whether registered with us, another practice or not NHS registered at all. Foreign visitors to the UK can also be seen but there may be a charge. To use the service you may simply walk in any time they are open. You will be booked onto the Walk In waiting list and will be seen in turn.


Norwich's NHS Walk In Centre


The main services offered are:

  • Blood pressure checks
  • Coughs, colds and flu-like symptoms
  • Information on staying healthy and health promotion
  • Minor cuts and wounds
  • Dressings and care
  • Muscle and joint injuries - strains and sprains
  • Skin complaints - rashes, sunburn and headlice
  • Stomach ache, indigestion, constipation, vomiting and diarrhoea
  • Support for stopping smoking
  • Treatment of minor infections
  • Women's health problems, thrush and menstrual advice


Prescriptions are given for appropriate medication for these problems.


If you are unable to visit the GP, hospital or Walk in Centre and require immediate medical assistance please call 999 and ask for an ambulance. The fire brigade and police can also be contacted on this number. This is for emergencies only.


Immigration Health Surcharge

Individuals coming to the UK for more than 6 months will be required to pay an Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS). Please keep your IHS reference number safe as it will be requested if you seek medical treatment. Information on NHS services can be found below.


NHS Entitlements: Migrant Health Guide



If you are relocating to Norwich with a family then this section provides useful guidance on making the move, schools, and childcare.


Schools in Norwich

Catchment Areas

If you have school age children and are keen to have them attend a specific school, remember that admission to state schools is based primarily on a catchment area which means where your child goes to school is dependent upon where you live.


It is important to research schools whilst you are looking for a rental property as you will need to make sure you are living in the right catchment area for the school that you wish your child to attend.


Selecting  a School

To begin finding out more about schools in the area speak to your colleagues, and refer to the Independent Office for Standards in Education ('OFSTED') reports and school performance tables (below).



School performance tables


Pre-schools and nurseries

If you have a child below school age then you may wish to look into nursery and childcare options in the local area. You can search online for nurseries by postcode and get information on upcoming family events.


UEA has a highly recommended Ofsted registered nursery for children aged from 5 months until starting school. You can benefit from tax advantages by paying for the nursery via UEA's Salary Sacrifice Scheme. Further information can be found below. The Government also have a tax free childcare scheme you may wish to look into.


UEA Nursery

Tax free childcare scheme


Bringing a pet

If you intend to bring a pet, you should check the current regulations for bringing a pet into the UK.


If you are relocating with a pet, please be aware that the majority of landlords do not allow tenants to have pets in rental properties. There are exceptions but it is likely to limit the range of choice you have on the location and size of your rental property, so allow extra time for your search.


Bringing a pet into the UK


You and your family may find yourselves living and working in an environment which may be completely different from that of your own country and it can sometimes take a while to adjust. You may take some time to adapt to British culture but plenty of information and help is available.


British law

Whilst living in the UK, you have the right to:

  • be treated fairly and lawfully regardless of your race, gender, age, marital status, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy/maternity leave or any disability;
  • practice your own religion - similarly, you are expected to show respect for people of other faiths.


It is your responsibility to:

  • obey the law;
  • care for your children (for example, children under the age of 16 must always be supervised by an adult, and they must go to school if they are aged between five and 16);
  • report to the police, if you are required to do so.


Further information on UK laws can be found on the government website or from the Citizens Advice Bureau - a charitable organisation that provides a wide range of advice on aspects of life in the UK.


Citizens Advice Bureau


A new culture

You can never prepare yourself fully for the abrupt change from a familiar culture to an unfamiliar one and you might experience a “culture shock”. This is completely normal and the best cure will be time and patience.


Meeting new people and making friends is often a sure-fire way of settling in to both your new place of work and the city itself. During your first few weeks at work you will hopefully be introduced to lots of new colleagues. Take the time to chat with them and ask for recommendations about social and leisure activities on and off campus. If you are looking for a way to socialise and meet new people as a family then contact the University’s Family Network.


British manners may be very different to those of your own culture. For example:

  • British people may sometimes seem rather reserved and distant. This is not because they are being deliberately unfriendly; instead they are often trying to avoid invading your privacy.
  • British people may not seem to be very direct. This is because they do not wish to be impolite so may not say what they really think.
  • It is considered important and respectful to say please’, ‘thank you’ and ‘sorry’ when appropriate.
  • Punctuality is very important. You must make sure you are on time for meetings, lectures, tutorials, seminars, interviews and when meeting people.
  • It is the norm to see couples, including same sex couples, kissing and holding hands in public.
  • Freedom of speech and the right to express opinions is considered important and it is all right for you to disagree with others, particularly in an academic environment.
  • Talking in a different language is tiring, and you may find the regional accents difficult to understand. Never feel embarrassed about asking people to speak more slowly or to repeat what they have said to you.


If you start feeling overwhelmed by the unfamiliar culture you can talk to your manager who may be able to help you find ways to settle in. The University also offers a range of Health and Wellbeing resources which you can access. The UEA Staff Association is also open to all staff. Nights out, quizzes and events such as outings to European cities and to stately homes are organised throughout the year by the Social Committee.


Employee Wellbeing Resources

UEA Staff Association


This section will help you to locate some of your local conveniences and will outline some of the attractions Norwich and Norfolk have to offer.


Norwich is a friendly and diverse city with lots to see and do, and one of the most vibrant and attractive cities in Europe. It is ranked in the Top 10 shopping cities in the UK and as well as being a hotbed for the arts, culture, music, nightlife, and tourism.


Full of historical architecture, Norwich has Norman Cathedral and a 12th Century Castle, as well as an open-air market, quirky independent shops, restaurants, cinemas, galleries, theatres, cafés, bars, pubs and clubs.


Norwich Cathedral

Norwich Castle


Major recent developments include the Riverside entertainment, retail and residential development and the Chantry Place shopping development. The city's medieval centre of cobbled streets remains largely intact, but there is still space for modern buildings such as the Forum, a stunning piece of contemporary architecture. Its glass front overlooks the colourful six-day market and reflects the city in all its diversity. It is also reassuring to know, that Norwich is in the county with the lowest crime rate in England.


Riverside Entertainment

Chantry Place

The Forum

Norwich Market


Shopping in and around Norwich

Norwich has branches of all the major UK supermarkets. Most supermarkets open at 8am and close at around 8pm, though some have 24-hour opening. There are also numerous smaller branches of the popular supermarkets found around the city centre. They stock a smaller range of products but provide the convenience of extended opening times which are generally 7am to 11pm. The majority of UK supermarkets now provide a delivery service, so you can order your food shop online and have it delivered to your home.


The UEA campus is home to a variety of shops, including a large food store.


Shops on the UEA Campus


Shopping for specialist food

As well as the larger supermarkets, Norwich has many smaller independent shops that specialise in international cuisines. A google search will locate many specialist suppliers or restaurants within the city.


Norwich has a range of Halal food suppliers, restaurants and take-away services.


Halal food in and around Norwich


Shopping for clothes and homeware

In the city centre you will find branches of the major UK clothing and cosmetics retailers. There are also numerous smaller independent boutiques.


Pharmacies and Chemists

Pharmacies can usually be identified by a green cross sign. You can buy medicines in pharmacies such as Boots or Lloyds. There is a Boots pharmacy on campus, next to the University Medical Centre; opening hours are 8.30am – 6pm on weekdays and 8.30am – 12pm on Saturday.


There are also pharmacies in the large supermarkets which open for longer.

Things to do in Norwich


Norwich has always been a great place for a night out with stylish café bars, pubs, clubs, cinemas, theatres, restaurants, nightclubs, concerts, exhibitions and festivals. Whether you are into alternative comedy, classical music, top West End musicals or independent films and music, Norwich, with its plethora of arts venues, will always have something for you.


If you are looking to dine out in the city have a look on Trip Advisor where you can search by cuisine, cost, visitor rating and location. You should also speak to colleagues and friends who will be happy to give recommendations.


Visit Norwich is a good starting point for ideas and information about local attractions in the city and around Norfolk.


Trip Advisor

Visit Norwich Website


This section provides information about the facilities available on campus. You will also find key details about getting paid and pension schemes.


Getting to know the campus

Built on 130 hectares of beautiful parkland on the outskirts of the historic city of Norwich, our campus is one of the most innovative in the country, combining natural beauty with architectural flair. The campus has won more than 20 architectural awards and ongoing multi-million pound investment continues to enhance teaching and research facilities.


Virtually no part of our campus is more than a few minutes walk from anywhere else, and almost every need is catered for, with a large food shop which includes a post office, a launderette and a pharmacy. There are also plenty of places to eat and drink.


Interactive map of campus


Sainsbury Centre for Visual Arts

The Sainsbury Centre is an inspirational public art museum at the University of East Anglia. The Norman Foster building houses the Robert and Lisa Sainsbury Collection comprising modern work by artists such as Henry Moore, John Davies, Alberto Giacometti and Francis Bacon, as well as art from Africa, the Pacific, the Americas, Asia, Egypt, medieval Europe and the ancient Mediterranean.


The Sainsbury Centre


Student Union

The UEA Student Union runs the prestigious LCR and Waterfront venues, as well as many other commercial enterprises on campus including the recently refurbished Union Pub and Bar, the Hive, the Scholars Bar, and a variety of eateries, cafes and shops.


UEA Student Union

LCR and Waterfront Venues

Food and Drink on Campus



Sportspark is the biggest university indoor sports centre in Britain with international standard facilities.


There is a 50m Olympic size pool, 12 badminton courts, an 8-lane athletics track, six floodlit hockey and soccer pitches as well as a state-of-the-art gym. Add to that the 10x28m climbing wall, 5 squash courts, newly-equipped gymnastics centre, 6 tennis courts and 40 acres of playing fields, and you can see why Sportspark is a one-stop sporting destination.




Woodlands, walks and acres of green space

UEA is located within over 360 acres of landscape, including woodland, footpaths, a man-made lake known locally as 'the UEA Broad' and playing fields for soccer, rugby, cricket, lacrosse, American football and baseball.


Disabled facilities

The campus is generally accessible although wheelchair users sometimes have to take an alternative route.


The University is committed to promoting a positive attitude to disabled people and to creating the conditions in which all students can participate fully in the academic, social and recreational life of the University. The University has a rolling programme of improvements to existing facilities and aims to incorporate high standards of disabled access into all new buildings.


Carers can also be accommodated and assistance dogs are welcome. Should you have any specific needs for access please email or call 01603 591898.


You can find accessibility information for facilities on campus by using the campus map below and clicking on the 'Accessibility' tab at the bottom of the map. Alternatively, you can go to the AccessAble pages, which provides access guides to buildings and facilities on campus.


Campus Accessibility

Campus Map



Travelling to work

Every year we aim to improve infrastructure and invest in facilities to help make your journey to campus more straightforward, affordable and sustainable.


Our Travel and Transport Team provide information and guidance on the best ways to travel to and from UEA – from where to park your car to the timetables for buses to campus.


Travel and Transport Team


Parking on Campus

On campus, there are several car parks, each with different conditions for parking. Parking on university grounds is charged service:

  • Visitor parking is subject to a daily rate, settled either by Pay & Display or at pay on foot machines
  • Eligible staff may apply for a parking permit
  • Staff can also arrange visitor-parking permits for invited guests


Parking on Campus


Car Sharing

We operate a car share scheme, 'Smart Share' aimed at reducing the number of one- person, one-car commuter journeys.


Finding parking spaces on campus can be difficult and the surrounding local road network is subject to congestion at peak travel times. Sharing your journey eases congestion, lessens your travel costs and helps reduce environmental impact.


Smart Share car share scheme


Alternative travel

We are committed to reducing the environmental impact of travelling to and from campus by car. Before you travel, please consider alternative methods of travel such as public transport, cycling or walking to campus.


'Park and Stride'

The ‘Park and Stride’ or Triangle car park is approximately a 15 minute walk from the centre of the main campus (approximately 0.8 miles) and 10 minutes from the hospital and Edith Cavell building.


Public Transport

First buses and konectbus provide the main services to campus.


In partnership with First Bus, UEA offers heavily discounted annual bus passes including the innovative "M-Ticket". Zone 1 – 5 tickets provide unlimited travel throughout Norwich and beyond. The network ticket provides unlimited travel across the First Eastern Bus area, great for commuting from places such as Great Yarmouth or for exploring the area. Tickets are on sale from the First Bus website below.


Discounts are also available for travel with konectbus (excluding Park & Ride).


First Bus



Coach Services

National  Express  provide  coach  services  to  London (service 490) and all major airports (service 727) with a pick up/set down point located in the lay-by outside the ZICER building. 


The campus is also served by who operate low cost inter-city travel from UEA to London, Cambridge, Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff and on to Europe. You can book online from the Megabus website below.


National Express Buses



Train commute discounts

The University works in partnership with Greater Anglia to provide discounts for staff who regularly travel by train whether it is to commute to University or to explore the area.


Greater Anglia Trains


Park and Ride

The University works in partnership with Norfolk County Council, Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital and Konectbus company to provide a Park and Ride service from Costessey.


Costessey Park and Ride Konectbus Service 511 is free to use and serves the main University campus every 30 minutes, Monday to Friday term time only. Travel time between Costessey and the main campus is just 10 - 15 minutes. Other park and ride options are available. 


Park and Ride



Cycling is a great way to get to and from work.


We have designed our cycle parking with security in mind. Spaces are in well-lit areas, typically covered by CCTV: see our cycle parking map for locations across campus. We have over 3,600 available spaces to secure your bike on campus.


Cyclists looking for extra peace of mind can apply for a space in one of our free-of-charge locked cycle compounds. Spaces are given on a first come, first served basis: to reserve your space please complete the application form available via the Locked Cycle Compound page below.


Our ZICER Cycle Compound also features approximately 80 lockers available to hire annually free-of-charge. These are useful to store cycle attire and accessories securely. To reserve a locker please complete the application form available vis the ZICER Cycle Compound Locker page below.


Locked Cycle Compound

ZICER Cycle Compound Lockers


Norwich has seven colour-coded cycle routes known as pedalways. These key routes – totalling 58 miles – have been colour coded on a Norwich cycle map and corresponding stickers have been placed along the routes to help cyclists find their way.

UEA is located on the Pink Pedalway route, an eight-mile cycling route which crosses the city from the Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital and UEA, through the city centre, to Heartsease and Broadland. View the route via the Norwich Cycle Map below.


Norwich Cycle Map


The Cycle to Work scheme enables employees who wish to cycle to work borrow up to £1000 to buy a bike and cycling safety equipment.

Eligible employees simply choose the bike and safety gear they need from one of our local partners suppliers and UEA will purchase that package and hire it back to you for a period of 12 months:

  • The money you pay will come directly out of your salary, before tax and national insurance are calculated thereby saving you money.
  • At the end of 12 months UEA will offer to sell the cycle and associated equipment to you at an agreed rate.


The scheme is part of a government-backed system introduced under the Green Transport Plan. For full information including terms & conditions visit the Cycle to Work Scheme below. 


Cycle to Work Scheme


Catering facilities

Restaurant facilities on campus provide everything from a simple coffee and sandwich to a full meal at eateries including Blend, Zest, Zizi’s, Vista and the Sainsbury Centre for Visual Arts Gallery Cafe. Fresh, locally sourced and Fairtrade ingredients are encouraged and used wherever possible.


We aim to offer a variety of food and drink across the campus, using fresh, healthy and nutritious ingredients ranging from our Fair Trade barista coffee to fine dining at the Sainsbury Centre, meeting every taste and budget. Find our outlets across campus and pop in to sample our barista coffee, fresh patisserie and a great blend of local and international cuisine.


See our cafes and restaurants for individual opening times and out of term times. There are further eating options available at Sportspark and INTO.


Faith Centre

UEA's Faith Centre is a spiritual meeting place and community centre on campus. We are open for staff and students of the University from 10am to 4pm, Monday to Friday during semester time and on Sunday evenings for services.


Tea and coffee are available all day, and the Common Room is one of the best locations on Campus in which to have your lunch - and you are welcome to do so. There is a microwave available to heat food.


The facilities include a large Common Room with easy chairs and a kitchen, two Quiet Rooms for individuals or small groups to spend time in contemplation or prayer, and a large Worship Room for religious services.


The Centre is seen as very much a ‘safe' place, where no-one will bother if you do not want to be bothered, and where belief is not a pre-requisite for any activity.


The FaithCentre team are always glad to meet staff socially and pastorally. As a valued part of the University's welfare network, the chaplains offer everyone a sympathetic ear in total confidence.


Faith Centre


You are free to join any trade union you wish. There are three unions recognised at the University for negotiation and consultation:






Getting paid

Details of your salary will be listed in your appointment letter. At the University salaries are paid on the 28th day of the month, brought forward to the previous working day if the 28th falls on a weekend or bank holiday, directly into your bank account. Your pay is subject to two compulsory taxes: national insurance contributions and income tax. These will be automatically deducted from your pay each month. A breakdown will be clearly shown on your monthly payslip, which can be accessed electronically on MyView.




Pension schemes

From August 2013 new Government rulings dictate that all employees must be auto enrolled in a workplace pension scheme. You will be automatically enrolled in the Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) when you start work at the University. You can get further information and assistance by contacting the Payroll and Pensions Office via or by telephoning 01603 592676.


More information about USS can be found at:




University Closures

The University is closed for 6 customary days (awarded by the University) and 8 statutory days (public holidays) during the year. 


UEA Closure Days




Whilst every effort is made to provide accurate and up-to-date information in this handbook, external weblinks, legislation and company information are subject to change. If you notice any discrepancies with external company or government websites, find a broken link or believe other information not covered in this handbook would be useful please notify the HR Service Team via


We hope you have found the information useful and we look forward to welcoming you to the University.