The Sportspark (incorporating UEA Sport) collects and handles certain personal data about its users. This notice outlines what you can expect when the Sportspark processes your personal information.
From time to time, the Sportspark may need to collect and use your information in ways that are not described in this notice. If we do, we will let you know by means of a separate notice, seeking your consent where appropriate.
The Sportspark is part of the University of East Anglia, which is a registered data controller. We will collect and use information about students and other customers in accordance with UK data protection law.
WHO SHOULD READ THIS PRIVACY NOTICE?
This notice applies to people who use the University’s Sportspark services and UEA Sport, including those offered by the Sportspark website.
If you are a UEA student or employee, you should also refer to the University’s student and staff privacy notices.
Please note that the Student Union is a separate data controller and you should refer to the Student Union’s privacy notice if you use their services.
WHAT INFORMATION DO WE USE?
The information we collect and use can be grouped into the following six categories.
1. Contact details and other identifying information
- Full name, including title
- Staff or student card number (where relevant)
- Date of Birth
- Telephone numbers
- Email address
- Place of residence, including postcode
- UEA User ID (if student or staff)
- UEA student number
Please note, if you are a student or staff member who wishes to use Sportspark facilities we will obtain your name and staff/student card number directly from records held by the University.
2. Direct debit information (if on a monthly membership)
- Name and address of account holder
- Name and address of your bank or building society
- Your bank or building society account number and sort code
3. Usage information – for example, how often you use our facilities or what activities you book.
4. Health and wellbeing when participating in certain programmes, for example UEA+Moves, including but not limited to:
- Medical history
- Your exercise habits
- Attitudes to fitness
- General wellbeing
- Any medical conditions for which you are receiving current treatment or medication
- Next of kin and emergency contact info
- Other information needed to provide the activity
We will always tell you what data is required at the point of collection.
5. Student data received from other UEA departments
In addition to the above, we also receive student data from other parts of the University.
Student Services exercise referral scheme
We may receive your data as part of the exercise referral scheme run by Student Services. This may include sharing some details of your completed wellbeing form in order to offer you support as part of the scheme.
The details shared are:
- Contact details and other identifying information
- full name
- UEA email
- contact number
- disability and medical information
- physical activity levels
- physical activity preferences
- PHQ9, GAD and SAS scores
- Whether you consent to being contacted for research purposes (yes or no)
Careers Central Volunteer Academy
We may receive UEA student data as part of our Volunteer Academy scheme run in conjunction with Careers Central. In order to identify volunteers who have signed up to UEA award, Careers Central will share:
- Your UEA email address
- UEA student Number
- UEA Student ID as a unique identifier
6. Aggregated statistical data
We may receive aggregated data about UEA and INTO students from the University's Business intelligence Unit (BIU). Aggregated data will not identify you by name, and will include the following:
- School (BIO/EDU etc)
- Year group (course stage)
- Course type (UG, Ms, PhD)
- Fee profile (EU, Visitor, Home Exchange etc)
- INTO student usage
- Widening participation groups not in the above list (bursary, commuter, polar group)
HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
Using our facilities
We need to use your contact details and other identifying information, as well as direct debit information (where relevant), in order to provide you with the Sportspark services and facilities you have requested, for example booking of sessions. We will send you communications to enable you to use our facilities and ensure we manage your membership expectations, including by sending you membership renewal emails.
The lawful basis we rely on for processing your personal data is article 6(1)(b) of the GDPR, which relates to processing necessary to perform a contract or to take steps at your request before entering a contract.
If we have your consent, we will also use your contact details and usage information for marketing purposes, for example to inform you of offers and events that may be of benefit or improve your experience. Where we require your consent to use information we will ask separately, at the time you first engage with the service, and you will always have a right to withdraw that consent.
The lawful basis we rely on for processing your personal data in this way is your consent under article 6(1)(a) of the GDPR.
Supporting UEA students
We use information shared with us by other University departments in order to provide specific services to support UEA students. The services we currently support are the Student Services exercise referral scheme and the Volunteer Academy run by Careers Central.
The lawful basis we rely on for processing your personal data in this way [....]
To ensure the Sportspark operates efficiently and that we are providing the best possible service to our users, we will use your usage information as well as contact details and other identifying information as follows.
- To send you monthly email newsletters to update you on Sportspark news and events (e.g. pool closures or new courses)
- Aggregate and analyse Sportspark usage records, and combine with other UEA staff and student records, to build a picture of how people access the Sportspark and use other UEA Sport activities to assist with programme design and appropriate marketing of our programmes and activities
- Aggregate and analyse Sportspark usage records, and combine with other UEA staff and student records in order to ensure we are meeting all our legal responsibilities under the public sector equality duty as described in the Equality Act 2010.
- Share limited data with external bodies listed in ‘Who has access to your data?’ for the purposes of national bench marking on physical activity (Sport England) and, for students only, determining participation in sports within a university environment in order to receive funding (BUCS and other National Governing Bodies)
- For UEA students and staff only, name and staff number will be transferred automatically to Sportspark systems to verify you as a UEA student or employee when accessing Sportspark facilities
- Management of uea+sport events and trips – when you book to take part in an event or a trip we may ask you for details of your current health including, but not limited to, any current medical conditions for which you are receiving treatment or medication, and emergency contact details
- All trips and events that take place off-Campus require a trip list to be given to our Security lodge. This includes any group sporting activity or competition. The trip list will include your name, any relevant medical history or current status, your contact details and your emergency contact details. This would only be used in an emergency. The list will be returned or destroyed at the conclusion of the trip when everyone has returned to UEA.
The lawful basis we rely on for processing your personal data as described above is article 6(1)(f), as processing is necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by the University or by a third party.
SPECIAL DATA SHARING ARRANGEMENTS RELATED TO COVID-19
The opening up of the economy following the COVID-19 outbreak is being supported by NHS Test and Trace. To help contain clusters or outbreaks, NHS Test and Trace is intended to trace close recent contacts of anyone who tests positive for COVID-19 and, if necessary, notifies them that they must self-isolate at home to help stop the spread of the virus. You can read more about NHS Test and Trace here.
The Sportspark will use the name and telephone number or email address you give us for the purposes of assisting with the NHS Test and Trace Service where it is appropriate to do so. Please see the University's contact tracing privacy notice for further details of how we will use personal data for this purpose.
WHERE DOES OUR INFORMATION COME FROM?
Most of the information we use is collected from you, either directly (for example when you fill in a form) or as a result of your actions, (for example when you book a session we create a record of your activities).
If you are a student or staff member who wishes to use Sportspark facilities we will obtain your name and staff/student card number directly from records held by the University.
We may obtain further student personal data from other University departments as described in the 'What information do we use?' and 'How we use your information' sections.
Obtaining data from third parties
Many of our events are administered in the first instance by UEASU (UEA Student Union). Any data given by you to UEASU as part of an expression of interest or while signing up to an event or activity will be passed to us by UEASU.
We may receive statistical information about participation in events or classes from other organisations or individuals, such as Active Norfolk, Norfolk Sports Academy and British Universities & Colleges Sport (BUCS) but this information cannot be linked back to any individual.
If we do obtain your personal information from another organisation, we will inform you of this fact within a reasonable period of having obtained the data (within one month, at the time we first get in touch with you, or when we need to share the data with another party – whichever is soonest).
WHO HAS ACCESS TO YOUR DATA?
Sportspark staff access to your personal data will be restricted to those individuals whose roles require use of such data for any of the purposes listed above. Some of your data may be shared with other teams or departments of the University.
The University also shares information with other data controllers. When we share data in this way, the other organisation will exercise control over how the information will be used. We do not sell your data, or share it with organisations other than those described below, unless required by law.
Sport England, including through the Open Active Initiative
British Universities & Colleges Sport (BUCS) (students only)
National governing bodies (students only)
UEASU (Student Union)
Data as part of the SU administration of activities and clubs:
The organisations with whom we share data also have an obligation to tell you how they will use your information. For example, BUCS and other national governing bodies/external funders will have third parties who process data on their behalf. We advise you to look at the privacy notices or policies of the organisations listed above. If you require any assistance with this, please contact us.
We use third party organisations, known as data processors, to provide certain services on our behalf. In order to deliver these services, these organisations may have access to Sportspark user data. We are required to have contracts in place with each of these data processors. This means that they cannot do anything with your personal information unless we have instructed them to do it. They will hold it securely and retain it for the period we instruct.
We use the following external services to help us provide our services:
|Name of organisation||What the service does||Data accessed|
|Gladstone||Determine member behaviours, for communication and membership processing purposes||Membership categories and personal details, including date of birth, postcode and contact number|
|LeisureNet||Communication for annual customer experience and Net Promoter Score (NSP) surveys||Email details|
|Leisure data base||Member behaviour analysis to assist marketing strategies||Member demographics and attendance figures|
|OpenPlay||UEA+Moves platform, a physical activity tracking app||Contact information, rewards redeemed|
|MailChimp||Email communication system||Sportspark user email addresses|
HOW LONG WE KEEP YOUR INFORMATION
We will keep your personal data only as long as is necessary for the purpose(s) for which it was collected. The retention periods for each purpose are set out in the University’s Records Retention Schedules. The Sportspark’s Records Retention Schedule is listed under the initials PES.
Data will be securely destroyed when no longer required.
FURTHER INFORMATION & CONTACT DETAILS
We have published further information about your data protection rights, who to contact if you have a complaint or a concern, and other information about data protection at the University of East Anglia that you might find helpful.
CHANGES TO THIS NOTICE
We regularly review the Sportspark privacy notice. This privacy notice was last updated in December 2020.