Support available for International students with families Support available for International students with families

It can be a real challenge balancing studies and raising children, and finding suitable housing is important.  Most students with families live in rented housing in the community close to local families with children, schools, shops, public transport and other amenities.

The Student Union's Advice Centre offers a service called Home Run which helps students find safe, comfortable and fairly priced accommodation off campus.  It provides a list of reputable local estate agents who welcome student families as tenants.  The Home Run advisers can be relied on to provide information and advice on all aspects of renting in the private sector which may be particularly helpful if you have never rented housing in the UK before.  Once you have found a house, the advisers will be happy to check over your lease before you sign to make sure everything is in order.

For further information and advice visit the Home Run website.

Types of childcare

We take childcare very seriously, and so rest assured that you and your family are in good hands – we know how difficult juggling children and study can be.

One of the most important concerns students with children have is childcare, and you'll no doubt have lots of questions. What kinds of care are available? Where can I find childcare close to the university and home? What should I ask when looking at childcare providers?

There are a variety of types of childcare available in the UK which will meet your needs.

The UEA Nursery offers high quality day care for babies from 6 weeks and children until starting school. If you would have difficulty meeting the fees, you can apply for help from the Nursery Hardship Fund. The waiting list for the UEA can be long and you may have to look for alternative childcare options.  For further information visit our Childcare and Family Life pages.

Financial help for students with dependent children

You can find information about the financial help available to UEA students, including help for students with dependent children, within the Student Support Service section of our site.

Norfolk County Council Children's Services

Norfolk County Council provides services and advice about childcare, activities for young people and education from pre-school to high school. You will find the Council's website especially useful if you need to find out about local schools.