23-24 August 2018
What's it about?
This free summer school will give young men and women, currently in year 12 (or BTEC equivalent), the opportunity to experience Adult Nursing, Learning Disability Nursing, Mental Health Nursing and Children’s Nursing over a two day summer school.
You will build an understanding of the different nursing disciplines, to help you decide if nursing is for you. This summer school will also allow you to develop skills and knowledge that is vital for health professionals such as drug calculations and clinical observations. Being part of the summer school includes follow up support such as a personal statement workshop and mock interview. The event will be hands-on and includes an overnight say on campus.
Who's it for?
In order to apply for a place on the nursing summer school, individuals must meet all of the criteria listed in Category A, and at least one of the criteria listed in Category B:
Category A – you must meet all these criteria
- Currently attending school / college in East Anglia.
- Have (or working towards) 5 GCSEs at grades C/4 or above, including English and Maths.
- Have the potential to achieve the grades for Nursing (see bullet points below). You don’t need to have these grades already, just the potential to achieve them if you worked hard.
- A-Level: grades BBB or
- BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in a Health, Care or Science subject: grades DDM
Category B – you should also meet at least one of the following criteria to be guaranteed a place
- Have a household income of less than £25,000
- Be a Looked After Child/ or have been in local authority care
- Be registered with their Local Authority as a young carer
- Have a disability or specific learning difficulty as defined by University and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS)
- Not many people from your school or where you live go to university
Please note you will need to provide evidence that you meet the criteria listed above. If you are not sure if you meet the criteria please ask your teacher or email email@example.com
Thursday 23rd August: refreshments during breaks, lunch, dinner, evening entertainment and overnight stay in a single, en-suite room on campus.
Friday 24th August: breakfast, refreshments during breaks and lunch.
Transport to and from the campus can also be arranged if required.
When you complete this online form it will be sent to the teacher who you elect as your reference. They will have to confirm that the grades you have provided are an accurate representation of your progress. Your teacher will then submit the approved application to UEA on your behalf. The deadline for UEA to receive applications is 29th June 5pm – so please ensure your teacher approves your application by this date.
If you are under 18, your parent / carer will also be contacted so that we can gain consent for you to attend the summer school.
Successful applicants will then be notified by Friday 8th July 2018.
If you would like a paper copy of the application please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the office on 01603 597799.