The School of Environmental Sciences obtained a Bronze Award as part of the ECU Athena SWAN Charter, in April 2014.
The ECU Athena SWAN Charter was instituted to encourage and recognise commitment and effort to advancing the careers of women in science, technology, engineering, maths and medicine (STEMM) employment in higher education and research. It has recently been expanded to address diversity and gender equality more broadly (for more information, see the Athena Swan Charter http://www.ecu.ac.uk/equality-charters/athena-swan/).
Membership of the self assessment team:
Irene Lorenzoni (Chair), Kevin Hiscock (Head of School), Andrew Manning, Jenni Barclay, Gill Malin, Paul Disdle, Simon Allen (ENV School Manager), Clare Goodess, Ben Webber, Helen Murdoch (Head of Equality and Diversity), Matthew Gooch (Project Officer, Equality and Diversity),( Jenni Turner, Rachel Snow (Local Support Rep), Helen Pallett, Trevor Tolhurst (SSLC Chair), Jason Chilvers (PTAC Chair), Ellin Lede (PGR Representative), Rebecca Jones (HR Representative), Katie Large (SCI Faculty Athena Swan Co-ordinator). Amanda Hamer (Secretary to the Committee)
The School has implemented and championed a number of initiatives to support staff and students:
- A workload model to work towards fair and transparent responsibilities for members of staff
- Researchers Affairs Forum to ensure that researchers have a voice within the school, underpinning the seven principles of the "Concordat to Support the Career Development of Researchers"
- Encouragement for staff to undertake the Harvard "unconscious bias" test
- Articles within the School's Daily Bulletin to staff promoting equality and diversity measures within the School
- ‘Coffee-time' equality and diversity sessions in the School's social space
- Thursday 16th March 2017 11.00am - 1.00pm EFRY 1.02
- Wednesday 22nd March 2017 2.00pm BIO 0.59.
- Thursday 20th April 2.00pm - 4.00pm Keith Clayton Seminar Room
- Thursday 18th May 2017 2.00pm-4.00 Keith Clayton Seminar Room SCI 01.38
- Wednesday 7th June 2017 2.00pm Keith Clayton Seminar Room SCI 01.38
- Wednesday 5th July 2017 2.00pm Keith Clayton Seminar Room SCI 01.38