Below are a list of services in the School and at the UEA to support our staff and students.
Support for students:
- Personal Adviser : All students are allocated a member of academic staff as a Personal Adviser as a first point of contact for matters relating to academic work and to offer help if you are experiencing any difficulties during your time here.
If you wish to change your adviser please contact the Local Support Office (CMPMTH.LSO@uea.ac.uk) or CMP’s Senior Adviser (Dr Pierre Chardaire: P.Chardaire@uea.ac.uk) or Deputy Senior Adviser (Dr Pam Mayhew: P.Mayhew@uea.ac.uk).
Student Support Service – offers support for students on study skills, managing finances, disabilities, wellbeing, living on and off campus.
- Disability Liaison Officer – Dr Pierre Chardaire (P.Chardaire@uea.ac.uk) is CMP’s Disability Liaison Officer, providing staff and students with a point of contact for advice and guidance about disability issues and support, liaising with the Disability Service (part of Student Support Services).
- Careers – Careers advice is available from our Director of Employability: Prof Gerard Parr, and Deputy Director of Employability: Dr Jason Lines.
- Learning and Teaching Service (LTS) - offers extensive information regarding all aspects of academic life, including registration, module enrolment, assessments and concessions.
- Childcare – UEASU provide specific support and information for student parents, such as a ‘Stay and Play’ session for all students with children 0-5, alternate Wednesdays in the Nap Nook of Union House, 1-3pm.
Support for Staff:
- Mentoring - You can request a mentor at any career stage, if you don’t currently have a mentor but would like one please contact the Head of School (G.Parr@uea.ac.uk) or School Manager (N.Mobbs@uea.ac.uk).
All newly appointed staff in CMP are allocated a Mentor, who can be a first port of call for questions and can guide them through the requirements of their probationary period.
- Appraisal – All staff should have an annual appraisal each calendar year, regardless of contract length or start date. It is an opportunity to highlight achievement and progress, suggest improvements and changes, and identify learning opportunities and future goals. You can request a change of appraiser by speaking to your Line Manager or a Senior Manager. Appraisal e-learning is available, mandatory for appraisers, recommended for appraisees.
- Promotions & Annual Review: Academic and Research Staff submit applications for promotion, special increments, discretionary awards and ex-gratia payments through the annual School promotions committee process. Administrative and Technical staff submit applications for re-grades, special increments, discretionary awards and ex-gratia payments through the Annual Review Procedure for Support Staff. Guidance and application forms are available on the HR webpages.
- Training – the Centre for Staff and Educational Development (CSED) runs a large number of courses throughout the year for the professional development of all staff. A Coaching Scheme is available. Career Central also provide confidential guidance appointments and a range of workshops for Researchers; contact Dr Rebecca Wyand for more information.
- Flexible Working - Any employee who has worked for the University for 26 weeks continuously can request flexible working. CMP support requests for flexible working from all staff wherever possible.
- Care Leave - UEA policies relating to Parental, Maternity, Paternity and Adoption Leave are outlined on the HR Absence and Leave web pages.
- Returning to work after care leave or illness - CMP offer support for returning to work, this may include access to a phased return, short-term amendments to duties or working hours, or adjustments to the physical environment. For more information, visit the UEA Medical Services Occupational Health page.
- SCI Return to Work Career Development Fund - for any staff member employed by the SCI Faculty who has returned to work after a significant period of absence (normally of at least six months). Funding can be used flexibly to support career development and transition back to work, examples include conference attendance, AT support, IT and research equipment. Please contact Katie Large (Katie.firstname.lastname@example.org) with any queries and to apply.
- Staff Counselling Service – offers a confidential service to staff who might be looking for assistance with personal or work related problems.
- Supporting students: UEA’s Student Support Service provides information to staff on student advising and welfare.