The Accounting Group includes 19 full time and part time faculty members, 10 of whom hold a professional accountancy qualification.
The group is led by Ricardo M Santana (in teaching) and Ana Marques (in research).
We have strong links with Professional accountancy bodies, such as the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW), Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) and Chartered Institute of Taxation (CIOT).
The Accounting group’s faculty works in the area of corporate disclosure, which is instrumental in providing stakeholders with adequate information on the companies they are interested in.
The group’s research covers several fields:
- Accounting Regulation
- Alternative Performance Measures
- Auditing and Assurance
- Corporate Governance
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Financial Accounting, Management Accounting
- Performance Management.
Group members have published their research in leading journals (classified as 4 or 3 by the ABS) including:
- Review of Accounting Studies
- Accounting, Auditing, and Accountability Journal
- Accounting and Business Research; Accounting Forum
- Accounting Horizons; Corporate Governance: An International Review
- Critical Perspectives on Accounting
- European Accounting Review
- Financial Accountability and Management
- International Journal of Accounting
- Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Finance
- Journal of Business Ethics
- Journal of Business Finance and Accounting
- Management Accounting Research
- Production Planning and Control
- Small Business Economics
- Supply Chain Management: An International Journal.
Members of the Accounting Group have collaborations with researchers of other national schools (such as University of Cambridge, University of Kent, and LSE).
We've also worked with researchers in:
- Brazil (University of Sao Paulo, FUCAPE Business School)
- Denmark (University of Aarhus), India (Indian Institute of Management Bangalore)
- New Zealand (University of Auckland)
- Portugal (ISCTE – IUL, and ISEG – University of Lisbon)
- Spain (ESADE Business School, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid
- Universidad Carlos III de Madrid), Turkey (University of Ankara)
- the United States (University of Nebraska-Lincoln).
We also welcome applications for short academic visits from junior and senior researchers. Unfortunately, we cannot cover any expenses at this point. If you are interested in visiting us, please directly contact the group member that you would like to work with.
We currently offer the following accounting-related programmes:
- BSc Accounting and Finance
- BSc Accounting and Management
- MSc International Accounting and Financial Management
- MSc Accounting and Finance
- PhD Opportunities