This information below is relevant for UK students only.

Tuition fee loan

Tuition Fee Loans are available from Student Finance England for Undergraduate courses. The Tuition Fee loan is paid directly to the university and covers the cost of the course. Students from the UK studying for their first degree are usually eligible for a Tuition Fee loan. This loan is paid directly to your university in full by the UK Government so you don’t need to worry about it. Eligibility criteria can be found through the site.

Maintenance loans (living costs)

The Maintenance loan (also referred to as the living costs loan) is available to UK students to help with day-to-day living costs like accommodation, travel, food, and social life expenses. Unlike the Tuition Fee loan, the Maintenance loan can be means tested, meaning the amount that you receive can be based on your household income. The amount of Maintenance loan you receive will also depend on where you will be living during term time. If you have decided to live at home, you may be eligible for a smaller loan amount. If you are studying and living at a London University, you may be eligible for to a larger amount – this is because the cost of living in London is higher. The table below shows the maximum Maintenance loan amounts available for 2023 entry students.


Full - Time Students Maximum Loan Everyone is entitled to this Topped-up based on household income
Parental Home £8,400 £3,698 £4,702
Away From Home £9,978 £4,651 £5,327
London £13,022 £6,485 £6,537


The Maintenance loan is paid directly to your bank account in three instalments at the start of each university semester (October, January and April). You will need to be registered and in attendance.

To get an idea of the amount of loan you could be entitled to, check out the student finance calculator on the GOV UK website.

Care leavers

University students who previously spent time living in local authority care (for example, in a residential home or a fostering arrangement) may be able to access extra financial support during their studies. Care leavers are assessed as independent students, so the household income of your parent/s or carer/s won’t be considered when calculating your maintenance loan.

You are also entitled to additional non-repayable financial support from your local authority. This could be in the form of a bursary or help with accommodation or fee costs. Contact your personal advisor, social worker, or case worker to find about the support you can access.

How to apply?

You apply for a student loan through the Government website (typically via the Student Finance England portal) the year that you are going to university.

Applications usually open in February and close in May each year, e.g you are starting university in September 2023, you would apply between February and May 2023. To ensure you receive your student loan at the start of your course, you must apply before the deadline.


Further funding options 

For those who need additional funding support, there are a number of alternative options available to you. 


We are here to help with any questions or queries you may have.

Contact Us