These modular Continuing Professional Development programmes can be completed on a part time basis over a maximum period of five years. They offer flexibility so that applicants can determine the pace of study selecting from a range of options to create a coherent programme that meets individual needs and interests.
Most candidates are from social work and sponsored by their employing agency to take the MA Advanced Social Work or MA Mental Health. Some modules are also offered to professionals from a range of disciplines including Health, Law and Education. Multiprofessional education is valued because it helps to foster respect and cooperation between professionals, whilst increasing an understanding of what is special about social work values, knowledge and skills.
- To encourage critical and reflective practice
- To extend and apply at an advanced level the knowledge, values, skills and theoretical approaches which underpin professional practice (drawing on the QAA Benchmark Statement for social work)
- To critically appraise and apply research to inform evidence based practice
- To integrate work based learning with the study and application of theory
- To foster personal and professional development and the development of others
- To link academic study with the Professional Capability Framework (PCF), which was introduced in 2012 by the Social Work Reform Board to support social workers' career planning and professional development.
Modules are available for newly qualified social workers and more experienced practitioners and managers and fit accordingly with the Social Work Professional Capability Framework. Students can work towards the full MA (180 credits) or plan a route to the Postgraduate Certificate (60 credits) or Postgraduate Diploma (120 credits). Modules are available in the following specialist areas: Children and Families, Work with Adults, Practice Education, Mental Health and Leadership and Management. The modules can be taken on a largely ‘pick and mix' basis and are grouped into specialist areas. We also offer Approved Mental Health Professional Training within the MA Mental Health and Best Interest Assessor Module.
Our Continuing Professional Development Master's degrees are designed to equip students with the knowledge and skills to further their career as a successful practitioner and manager.
Making an Application
If you are new to UEA and wish to enrol either on the whole MA or for individual modules please visit: https://www.uea.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/apply
If you are an existing student please email the Learning and Teaching Service at email@example.com
If you have any questions please see our FAQ page.