Oscar K.S. Hui received his Ph.D. degree in mechanical engineering at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) in 2008. HKUST ranks #47 in THE world ranking 2020.
He is a reader in mechanical engineering in School of Engineering at UEA. Prior to that, he was a lecturer in the department of systems engineering and engineering management of the City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong (Aug 2008 - Feb 2013), an Assistant/Associate Professor in the department of mechanical engineering at Hanyang University, South Korea (Mar 2013 – Aug 2016), and a lecturer in mechanical engineering in School of Mathematics, University of East Anglia, UK (Sep 2016 – Jul 2019).
As PI, he has secured GBP 1.1 million to conduct research projects (GBP 2.4 million as both PI and Co-I). The funding is from General Research Fund of Hong Kong, Innovation and Technology Fund of Hong Kong, National Research Foundation of Korea, The Science and Technology Development Fund of Macau, Ove Arup & Partners Hong Kong Ltd., Hysan Development Company Ltd., ASA Innovation & Technology Limited, among others.
He has over 18 years of experience in the study of nanostructured catalytic materials for energy and environmental applications and has published work in over 178 SCI papers (google h-index: 44; citations: 5698). He has 1 United States (US) patent (US9040007B2) and licensing to 3 companies in Hong Kong.
He has so far supervised 19 PhD and 26 MPhil students, 12 PDRAs and 16 RAs. Many of the ex-members are engineers in the industry and hold faculty positions at Universities in China. He has been maintaining a large consortium to better understand and address the research problems, including partners from international-leading universities: MIT, UCLA, Uni. of Western, Cambridge, Leeds, Kent, Cardiff, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shandong Uni., Xiamen, Uppsala, Hanyang Uni., among others.
His recent research projects include (i) theoretical and experimental studies of heterogeneous catalytic reaction kinetics and mechanisms; (ii) rational design and synthesis of single-atom Co/carbon and porous graphene materials for energy storage and conversion; (iii) density functional theory (DFT) calculations of structural and electronic properties of catalysts, modulated by dopants, in electrochemical/electrocatalysis performance; (iv) process modelling and optimisation of methanol steam reforming for hydrogen production; and (v) hybrid sodium-air batteries (HSABs), zinc-air batteries, and solid-state flexible Li/Na-ion batteries.
He serves as Topic Editors in Electrolytes for Non-Lithium Based Rechargeable Batteries and Ionic Capacitors, Frontiers, 2019
- Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education Practice, University of East Anglia, 1 Dec 2017
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, 12 Nov 2008
- M.Phil., Mechanical Engineering, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, 10 Nov 2004
- B.Eng., Mechanical Engineering, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, 6 Nov 2002
Reader in Mechanical Engineering, Engineering, University of East Anglia (UEA), UK, Aug 2019 →
Lecturer in Mechanical Engineering, School of Mathematics, University of East Anglia (UEA), UK, Sep 2016 → Jul 2019; the 274th best university in the world according to the QS World University Rankings® 2018
Assistant Professor/Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Convergence Engineering, Hanyang University (HYU), Seoul, South Korea, Mar 2013 - Aug 2016 (3.5 yr); the 155th best university in the world according to the QS World University Rankings® 2018
Lecturer, Department of Systems Engineering and Engineering Management, City University of Hong Kong (CityU), Hong Kong, Aug 2008 - Feb 2013 (4.5 yr); the 49th best university in the world according to the QS World University Rankings® 2018
- Fellow of The Higher Education Academy (FHEA), UK. Recognition reference: PR139512; Date of recognition: 18/12/2017 link
- Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education Practice (PGCERT), The Higher Education Academy, UK, 1 December 2017. link
- Conscientious supervision of Dr. Luojiang Zhang (Hanyang University, Seoul, South Korea), the China Scholarship Council, China, 2017
- Plaque of appreciation (24K Fine Gold, 3.75 gram), Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Hanyang University, 2016
- HY Get Together Program (organized activities with students from Malaysia, Sweden and South Korea), 2015
- Excellent Research Professor, Hanyang University, 2015 (based on the numbers of published SCI papers from 2013-2015; total: 47)
- Researcher of the month, Hanyang University, April 2014, “Greener Nano-particles for the Future”
- Best Poster Presentation Award, CSE Student Project Exhibition 2011, Microwave-assisted Acid-catalyzed Hydrolysis of Rice Husk into Xylose, CityU, 31 May 2011
- Best Paper Award, Finalist, [ICAE 033], International Conference on Applied Energy 2010, Energy Solutions for a Sustainable World, Singapore, 21-23 April 2010
- Certificate (among 3 out of 220 participants were awarded), Strategic Teaching Enhancement Programme (STEP 2008-09), Education Development Office, CityU link
- The Best Teaching Assistant, Department of Mechanical Engineering, HKUST, Fall Semester, 2005-06
- DaimlerChrysler Scholarship, 2003
- Mr. Anthony Huen and Mrs. Mui Kinoshita (ASA Innovation & Technology Limited, Hong Kong), Final five (out of 190 companies), Innovation Award, HSBC Youth Business Award, Hong Kong, 2017
- Mr. Anthony Huen and Mrs. Mui Kinoshita (ASA Innovation & Technology Limited, Hong Kong), Top 6, China Mobile Onenet Hackathon Competition in Chongqing, China, 2017
- Mrs. Mui Kinoshita, Mr. Anthony Huen, Dr. Oscar Hui (ASA Innovation & Technology Limited, Hong Kong), Eureka Nova Incubation Hub, www.EurekaNova.com, #EurekaNovaHK, Hong Kong, 2017
Training in the graduate level courses
- Thermo Fluid Flows in Porous Medium
- Advanced Transport Phenomena
- Gas and Particulate Removal Processes
- Advanced Physio-Chemical Treatment Processes
- Air Pollution Meteorology
- Measurement of Air Pollutants
- Advanced Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics
- Introduction of Microsystems: Technology and Devices
- Fundamentals of Microsystems Packaging
- Optoelectronic Packaging: Physical Design for Reliability
- Special Topics in Mechanical Engineering: Geometric Modeling
- Preparing for an Academic Career
- Seminar in Mechanical Engineering
- Group Communication Skills Development