The Professional Doctorate in Health and Social Care (ProfD HaSC) is an interdisciplinary, postgraduate level research programme that has been designed to meet the needs of senior health and social care practitioners who wish to develop and lead evidence-based interventions within their own sphere of practice. The course is part time (0.4FTE) with six taught workshops a year for two years, followed by an independent research project during years 3-5. Regular doctoral supervision is provided throughout, leading to 540 credits at Level 8 and a Professional Doctorate in Health & Social Care.
The applied nature of the programme develops candidates’ research capability and enables them to manage complex problems and advance their practice. It is an award at the highest academic level that is distinct from the PhD in that it fosters pioneering professional development relevant to the needs of the individual’s professional working situation in a mutually supportive learning environment of lecturers and fellow students from a wide range of disciplines.
To enhance the knowledge and practice of professionals through:
- Critical enquiry and evaluation of current literature, policies and practice
- Critical reflection and evaluation on personal and professional development
- Advanced academic enquiry leading to the generation of new knowledge at the forefront of their practice
- Effective project management
- Original research and advanced autonomous scholarship
- Dissemination of original and creative insights to inform innovation and enhancement of health and social care.
Why choose a ProfD?
- To advance your applied research skills
- To demonstrate an original contribution to knowledge and application of that knowledge in your area of practice
- To build research capacity in the workplace
- To enhance evidence-based practice
- Extensive experience in providing successful doctoral supervision (PhD)
- Many of our current staff have undertaken professional doctorates (EdDs) and are familiar with the process of a professional doctorate and maximising learning through the educational process
- Our national and international research reputation in many areas of practice
- Outstanding learning environment
- Faculty induction programme
- Face-to-face and online learning
The ProfD HaSC runs every other year with the next start date being October 2023*
To be considered for a place on this course, you must meet the entry requirements.
*This course will run subject to sufficient interest and applications to make a cohort educationally viable.
Virtual Open Event
To discover more, please attend one of our virtual open events on:
- 22nd November 2022: 6pm-7.30pm
- 18th January 2023: 5pm-6.30pm
- 9th March 2023: 6.30pm-8pm
- 18th April 2023: 6pm -7.30pm
To register your interest, email firstname.lastname@example.org.