We're home to many green-minded student societies, contributing to the student collective of the sustainability network.
Sustainability Society: running projects to make UEA greener
Sustainability Soc is the society dedicated to developing a low carbon campus and reducing UEA's carbon emissions. We work closely with the Estates team to run projects that make a real difference to our sustainability.
Enactus UEA: running social enterprises that have sustainability at its core.
"Empowering the homeless by creating a platform of opportunities"
This is what Enactus UEA stands for. We strive to improve the livelihood of the underprivileged people in the community through the creation of sustainable social enterprises.
- Green Growers – We are a society with two working allotment sites close to the University, where students can grow organic fruit and veg. Join to learn how to grow, meet some fun people, or just get away from the rush of university life for a while.
- VegBox - The VegBox scheme is supplied by an organic supplier in Norfolk who delivers local, seasonal, fresh and healthy fruit and vegetables every week. You order your veg in advance for collection in the Hive on Wednesdays.
- Vegetarian Society – We are a society who enjoy cooking, eating and learning about veggie food but aren’t all vegetarian! Anyone is welcome to join and learn more about sustainable foods.
- Food Co-op – At UEA Food Co-op we sell organic, ethical produce at wholesale prices every Wednesday in the Hive from 1-3pm. We are proud to provide students access to sustainable food choices.
- Conservation and Wildlife - We organise practical conservation work both on campus and further afield. We visit reserves like Buxton Heath, as well as going on trips to see local wildlife such as: baby grey seals, red deer rutting and flocks of up to 10,000 pink footed geese.
There are a number of societies with a focus on campaigning around sustainability-related themes.
- UEA Healthy Planet – We aim to raise awareness, acting on the causes of climate change and its effects on health.
- People and Planet – We are the UK student campaigning organisation working to end world poverty, defend human rights, and protect the environment.
- Animal Welfare - A society dedicated to promoting animal welfare and rights through discussion, campaigning, and charitable fund raising events.
- Young Greens - The UEA branch of The Green Party, we meet weekly to discuss and act on political views. We also organise events and campaigns based around national and local Green policies.
- WaterAid UEA - This student society is aimed at carrying out WaterAid’s mission to overcome poverty by enabling the world’s poorest people to gain access to safe water.
- UEA People & Planet – We are a society of students campaigning on poverty, human rights and the environment.
- Feminist Society - A friendly, open-minded feminist discussion group run by students meeting every Tuesday and Thursday during term time. We examine a different subject each week using a variety of media. All genders welcome.
- UEA Womanist Society – We aim to create safe space to discuss race and its intersections with other forms of oppression.
- UEA Oxfam Society – We are a new student-run society at UEA, with the aim of fundraising and campaigning for Oxfam UK and Oxfam International.
- Stop the Traffik UEA – As a society, we aim to raise awareness and campaign across campus about the issue of human trafficking.
- UEA Migrant Solidarity Campaign – We are a group focused on organising and better utilising support and aid from Norwich for the people in the Calais jungle. We aim to mobilise the student body.
- BioSoc – We are UEA’s Biological Society for everyone who studies BIO, taking BIO modules or just interested in the biological sciences.
- Environmental Sciences – We are an academic based society for those studying Environmental Science and other related courses.
- Natural Sciences - Natural Sciences encompasses all of the physical sciences and the ways they interact with one another. Our society allows for students who share an interest in these sciences to come together and socialise
Why not consider taking up a sport that gets you outside and active - pick up litter you find on site for extra eco-credentials.
- Rock Climbing – At UEA Climbing, we run regular indoor/outdoor trips to different places across the country and Europe, as well as loads of socials and competing at local and university level.
- Fell and Mountaineering – We give students the opportunity to explore the great outdoors, both around Norwich and further afield via regular weekend trips to places round the UK. There are opportunities to partake in hill walking, scrambling, mountaineering, orienteering and D of E awards.
- Surf - UEA Surf offers the chance for all students to enjoy surfing whatever your ability. Our club organises trips around the country and abroad, and provides all equipment including wetsuits and boards.
- Kayak - A club running three weekly sessions kayaking on the river Yare, and running flatwater and white-water trips throughout the year.
- Windsurf - Welcoming all ability levels, at UEA Windsurf, we run regular trips to local lakes as well as attending Student Windsurf Association events and running official RYA Start Windsurf courses.
- Kite Surfing - UEA Kitesurfing provide for all experience levels running trips to local beaches, as well as organising socials all year round.
- Yoga – Our friendly and relaxed club that exists to promote the practice of yoga on campus, aiming to provide six classes of yoga per week from three qualified teachers.