Live in the city of Norwich away from the University Live in the city of Norwich away from the University

City centre accommodation

Our city centre residence, Mary Chapman Court, offers great value city living with close proximity to bus routes directly to the University. Its location is also fantastic for many of the cities shops, bars and restaurants what with it being so close to the Norwich Lanes network of streets. The building is situated next to the river on Duke Street in the city centre.

Private rented accommodation

For students who prefer not to live in residences, or for those students not guaranteed a room, there's a huge amount of private rented accommodation available in Norwich.

For details of houses, flats, bedsits and lodgings available for rental in the private sector simply contact the Student Union Advice Centre, who can give you access to an online 'housing list', and offer general advice and information. However, it is your responsibility to deal directly with the agent or landlord when making accommodation arrangements. Local newspapers also advertise available rooms online.

As accommodation in residences is limited to one year for Home/EU undergraduates and first year International Postgraduates, most students will have to find accommodation in the private sector for their second year and throughout the rest of their course. The Student Union holds a 'housing event' each year (usually January/February), when the first housing list for the following academic year is released. This is an invaluable resource for students finding private accommodation for the first time, and students are strongly advised not to start looking for private housing until after the housing event.

Houses, flats and bedsits are nearly always furnished but you should expect to provide your bedding, crockery, cutlery and cooking utensils. You are advised to enter into a legal contract with the householder. If you have any doubts over the wording or content of the contract, the Welfare Officer in the Union of Students is available for free consultation without appointment. The Union of Students also provides information in the form of a House Hunting Guide.

Useful contact information

Student Union Advice Centre for Private Sector Housing
Telephone: 01603 592505

SU Homerun Service

Student Union Welfare Officer
Telephone: 01603 593463

Local Newspapers
Eastern Daily Press
Evening News