Preparing for University
- 6 weeks
- Weekly study
- 3 hours
- Start date
- Date to be announced
Higher education is about learning at a higher level: developing skills relating to critical thinking; holding a supported, substantive argument; analysing and using data or sources critically. These are university-level skills but you can work on the foundations of these skills before you get there. Such skills will also help in assessments such as A-levels and extended project work. They are also attributes that employers value in graduates.
In this course you will explore some key skills needed for success at university. You will hear what university lecturers have to say about skills their students excel at, or struggle with, from undergraduates about areas they have found difficult and some top tips for coping with the university learning environment.
At the end of each week there will be an exercise where you will be self-critical and reflect on your progress. These are such important skills for university because they form the basis of independent learning. Each week you will interact with others on the course, compare progress, help those who might be struggling, gain advice and support if you are struggling, and share your thoughts via discussions.
- Questioning in a university environment
- Links between independent study, revision and reading skills
- Using and acknowledging the work of others through referencing
- Data and its applicability to university study
- Textual analysis and how literary texts are studied
- Structuring thoughts and ideas and its importance at university level
By the end of the course, you'll be able to:
- Explore the skills needed to do well at university
- Engage with the key skills required for success at university
- Identify with what university lecturers have to say about skills their students excel at or struggle with
- Explore what lecturers value in their students
- Collect top tips for coping with the university learning environment
This course is for anyone considering a course of study at a University or similar higher education institution.