What support is available for international students?
The University recognises that the situation surrounding the pandemic has been particularly tough for international students. There is a range of support available, including a dedicated team within Student Services for international students – please read the full list here.
I’m travelling to UEA from a country on the UK Government’s ‘red list’ – what do I need to do?
If you are travelling from or passing through a country on the UK Government’s ‘red list’, you must:
- take a coronavirus (COVID-19) test and get a negative result during the 3 days before you travel. You must take the test in the 3 days before the service on which you will arrive in England departs. For example, if you travel directly to England on Friday, you must take the test on the Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday
- book a managed quarantine hotel where you will quarantine. Your quarantine package will include your managed quarantine hotel, quarantine transport and your travel test package for COVID-19 tests on day 2 and day 8 of quarantine
- complete a passenger locator form with details of where you will quarantine when you arrive. You must provide a quarantine package booking reference number to complete your passenger locator form
You can find the full guidance on the UK Government’s website. It is important that you understand these new restrictions as there are penalties for breaking quarantine.
I’m travelling to the UK from a country not on the UK Government’s ‘red list’ – what do I need to do?
If you are travelling to the UK from outside the Common Travel Area and you have not been in a country where travel to the UK is banned, you must:
- take a coronavirus (COVID-19) test and get a negative result during the 3 days before you travel
- book and pay for a travel test package, which will include COVID-19 tests to be taken on or before day 2 and on or after day 8 of your quarantine. These tests must be booked before you leave your home country.
- complete a passenger locator form with details of where you will home quarantine when you arrive and the travel test package booking reference number
- quarantine for 10 days after you arrive in the UK, during which you will take the COVID-19 tests included in your travel test package
You can find the full guidance on the UK Government’s website. It is important that you understand these rules as there are penalties for breaking quarantine.
Can the University help towards the cost of quarantining/COVID testing?
If you are in financial difficulty due to pandemic, students can apply to our Hardship Fund. If you’d like to speak to someone about your financial situation, remember it’s never too late to ask for help - our Student Life Advisers will be able to give you impartial, non-judgemental advice. Complete and return the online referral form to book an appointment.
UEA is still supporting the cost of the 'Test to Release' scheme. Students taking part in 'Test to Release' may be able to reduce the amount of time required to Self-Isolate after entering the country, by taking a voluntary test from a Government-approved testing provider on or after their 5th day of Self-Isolation.
If you do choose to participate in the Test to Release Scheme, UEA will reimburse the £98 cost of your PCR test for the Test and Release Scheme when you book with Prenetics iDNA. In this case, you will need to complete the Test and Release Reimbursement Form and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Additionally, if you do exit isolation early in this way, you must inform the COVID Secure Team at email@example.com so that your isolation status can be updated. Please note that even if you do exit isolation early you must still complete the Government mandated test on your 8th day.
Do i need to tell the university that I'm travelling to campus?
Yes. Please complete this form to let UEA know if you’re planning on travelling to campus – this allows UEA to understand who may need to quarantine in line with Government guidance after travelling from overseas, and to make sure these students have all the information and support they need. Students who need to quarantine may be contacted by the COVID Support Team after completing the form to discuss support options available.
If I have to quarantine upon arrival to campus, what support is available to me?
The University has a dedicated COVID Support Team who reach out and offer support to students that need to self-isolate/quarantine for any reason. International students will have the opportunity to discuss any specific circumstances or support needs, and will also receive check-in calls during and post-quarantine. They can also give students guidance on how to self-isolate, how to get necessary supplies and deliveries and outline what other support the University can offer such as Wellbeing services.
It’s important that you tell the University if you’re self-isolating for any reason – please do this by completing our COVID-19 and Self-Isolation Notification form. If you would like the COVID Support Team to contact you at a time of your convenience, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
I’m planning on travelling to UEA and need to arrange accommodation – what do I need to do?
If you would like accommodation on campus, please get in touch with UEA Accommodation to discuss your options. If you would prefer accommodation in the city of Norwich, there are plenty of options available through purpose built student accommodation or Home Run.