Below, you will find some information and practical advice about life in the UK.

If you have any queries, please email us on

UKCISA have two useful webpages of things to consider when planning and looking for housing in the UK:

You can find further information about UEA’s Accommodation on our website.

If you would prefer to live off campus, you can visit Student Life’s Life off Campus webpage on My.UEA (login required) .  If you would like help finding off-campus housing, this is something the Student Union can help with.  Please visit the SU’s website for further information.

There are many issues you may need to consider when bringing family with you to university, such as housing, childcare and schooling.  The Student Life webpage on Childcare and Family Life has some information on finding a school, UEA’s Nursery and family housing.

To find out more about childcare in Norfolk, you can also visit the Norfolk County Council website and the Family Information Service run by Norfolk County Council.  These pages have information and advice on local nurseries, after school childcare and child minders.

The Students’ Union also offer a range of advice and guidance for students that are parents or for students that are expecting a child.

Healthcare in the UK

In the UK you will use the NHS (National Health Service) for medical treatment. Even if you have paid the Immigration Healthcare Surcharge (IHS), you will still need to pay for some services such as prescription medications, dental treatment and eye exams. To access the NHS you need to register with a General Practitioner (GP) doctor. GPs are general doctors who specialise in family health.

Healthcare on Campus

Find out more about Healthcare in the UK