Your University Questions, Answered.

As I'm not from the UK, will I get any English language support? Erica, Italy


Our Answer:

If English is not your first language, you will have to reach a minimum English language requirement to receive an Offer of a place on a course at UEA. The English language requirements for each course varies, but these can be found on the individual pages of our Course Finder

If you don’t quite make the minimum English language entry requirements to get onto a course at UEA, but have met the academic requirement, our partners at INTO UEA run a number of pre-sessional English courses. These are:

English for University Study

  • Designed for people who are intending to study at university and want to develop their academic English skills.
  • Can be anything from one term upwards, with flexible start dates throughout the year.

Pre-sessional English 

  • More intensive course, designed for those who hold a Conditional Offer for a UEA undergraduate or postgraduate degree but do not quite meet the English requirements.
  • Offered as 16 week, 12 week, 8 week, 6 week and 4 week courses – the length depends on how much improvement is needed.
  • If you pass the course, then you will not usually need to take an additional SELT to study UEA.

Once you’ve started your degree at UEA, The Student Support Service offer an English Language Support Programme and the Language Support Buddy scheme.

If you have a room in University accommodation, you’ll be living with lots of native speakers and there is no better way of improving your conversational skills that totally immersing yourself in a language. Chances are, if you find yourself socialising with those who speak your mother tongue, they will want to practice their skills with you!

Anne-Sophie (from France) and Georgia (from Bulgaria) are two of our student bloggers. Why not have a read to find out how they have found studying and living in Norwich.  

Got a question of your own?