Your University Questions, Answered.

Is it better to apply a year later or through deferred entry? Millie, Horsham


Our Answer:

If you know you want to take a year out before starting university, it’s really up to you whether you apply for a deferred place or leave your application for a year. Some people like to apply through deferred entry to get it all out of the way before taking their year out - that way they can relax knowing they’ve got it all sorted. Other people like to wait for the next application cycle when they know what their A-level grades are. 

The main plus point of applying for a deferred place is that you are probably still at school or college and it might make the process a bit easier. You’ll be able to access help and advice about writing your personal statement from teachers or careers advisers, and getting a reference from a teacher who’s currently teaching you could also be advantageous. Also, most schools and college will be able to submit your UCAS application for you, rather than you having to do it independently. 

But please be aware – on some courses, such as Medicine (A100) or Medicine with a Foundation Year (A104), you won’t be able to apply for deferred entry through UCAS. 

If you're looking for more advice, try visiting the gap years forum at The Student Room to see how other students feel about deferred entry. At the end of the day, it’s really up to you and what you feel comfortable with – the choice is yours!

Got a question of your own?