Your University Questions, Answered.

Where can I live after my first year? James, Leeds


Our Answer:

After their first year, students usually move into private accommodation in Norwich. This is mainly in the city centre, in the areas surrounding campus or the infamous Golden Triangle between the city and campus.

Finding somewhere to live is made a whole lot easier with help from the UEA Students' Union. Home Run Lettings is a private sector letting agency managed by the Union -  what better way of finding student accommodation than through an organisation who's first priority is students!  

Lots of people will move into a shared house with people they have met during their first year, but for a variety of reasons this might not be the case. The Union hold housing socials for people looking to find housemates, and also have a message board on their website.  

So, a few things to think about when you're deciding on where to live:

  • How many of you are there? Do you go for a big house with 6 of you, or do you break into 2 groups of 3?
  • Being honest, can you live with everyone in your friendship group? This is where smaller groups might work!
  • Do you want to be in the middle of the city or nearer the university campus?
  • What's your budget?
  • Most student houses are furnished, but what if you find an unfurnished place? Can you afford to kit it out?
  • Thinking about the landlord - it might be cheaper to go with a random Joe, but in reality someone known to your uni or Students' Union might be a lot easier (and end up costing you less) in the long run. 
  • How will you get to uni every day? Can you walk or cycle, or will there be transport costs?

Student bloggers Hannah and Anne-Sophie have been through the house hunting process – take a look at their experiences and tips for finding your perfect student pad.

Got a question of your own?